Nikki

My first memory of Nikki is at her tenth birthday party and I remember that I felt really special having been invited to attend such a family event with Josh. Nikki was a sweet and quiet girl and it was fun to be around her. We took her miniature golfing, I took her to an amusement park and introduced her to new foods, we even had a sleepover once after Josh had left on his mission. With four older sisters, it was a nice change for me to be the older one for once and especially with Nikki because we have a lot in common.

At the time we both danced at the same studio and we share a love of dance. We also both love to read and often talk about books. As she has grown into an adult it has been fun to watch her mature and become more of a peer than a little sister and I'm so grateful for her in my life. The week before I got married I was hosting three of my closest friends from out of state and we went on some fun adventures and we had Nikki come with us. I was so grateful that she wanted to hang out with me and that she was happy I was joining the family. A close relationship with her was important and it happened very naturally.

One of my favorite memories is when she came out to BYU to visit Josh and I when she was 15 and we'd been married a year or so. We went to visit one of my friends that she knew and somehow got into her apartment and decided it would be funny to turn everything upside down. I think we even hid all of the pillows in the dryer. It was fun just being silly with her.

When I went into labor with my oldest, we called Nikki and Josh's mom at 6am and the two of them hopped in the car and drove the seven hours to get to the hospital. They arrived an hour or so after my daughter was born and what a special moment it was when she first held my baby girl and became an aunt. Over the past eight years she has read my kids thousands of books, played all sorts of games, snuggled them, given thoughtful gifts, colored with them and been a wonderful friend to them.

Nikki and I have always been able to talk and she's been a wonderful friend and listener to me. She is respectful of my differing beliefs and even supports me in what I'm teaching my children. She helps me be a good mom and has always been kind in how she talks to me, even though we do have political and religious differences. She is smart, articulate, has overcome very challenging circumstances and I'm so proud of her and all she's been able to make happen in her life. I love her for welcoming me into her life and her heart and becoming such an important part of mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

and the beat goes on

Life

Back to school