Pursuit of Happiness


Tuesday I hosted Inklings and it was a bit crazy. The little kids were loud and stressing my mom out a bit with how they were jumping on our couches and throwing things and everyone was pretty chatty so it was a bit hard to lead the discussion but I like when people are excited to share and I think we hit the most important points, plus it is always good to share and lift each other up. Then I went and helped out with field day--my last one. :( I just followed Brandon's class around the stations and encouraged his team and they won almost every single game. They were a cute group and we had fun together. It was a beautiful day and fun to be outside and enjoy one last Evergreen moment with my boy. I taught the last of my piano lessons for the year and my in-laws came for dinner and it was a busy and nice day.
Wednesday I went to the gym and then came home to make a grocery list and get organized. I was also in charge of our primary activity that night so I had to do some planning for that. We had kind of a book club with the girls so everyone shared a book they really like and we made a list for them so they would have ideas of what to read over the summer. We talked about genres and played fruit basket upset but with book genres instead of fruits. I passed out some books my kids were done with and I think it went well. It was just Brandon and I that went to church since the girls had rehearsal and Curtis volunteered at the rising freshman night to man the cross country booth.
Thursday morning the five of us went to Curtis's awards ceremony while my dad got Brandon on the bus again. Curtis got a science award and one for having straight As all year; we are so proud of how hard that kid works and his dedication to succeeding in school work. Then mom and I went grocery shopping, Josh and his dad went up to the airport to get Zac and have a fun day in DC, and his mom went back to their rental. I took Brandon to his last practice that night and it was good to see Zac when they got back from DC.
Friday morning we went to Leonardtown for bagels and then we went to the bookstore and the bakery where Amanda works. We got her blueberry cheese danishes and they were so delicious. Then Josh had to go back to the airport to pick up his sister (she wasn't feeling well the day before and so delayed her flight a day) so he was gone again and I was busy cleaning and setting up for more family to come.
Brandon had his fifth grade pool party and then it was show time! I love watching my girls dance and this year was especially wonderful because Lily had a solo and it is her last year. I was worried I would get emotional but other than a few moments, I kept it together pretty well. The show was Pursuit of Happiness and it was all Americana. Lily was in a super fun dance called Establishing a Nation that was to the school of rock bill song, she was in a Shenandoah piece that I loved, a battle one called Lexington and Concord that was super beautiful, a super fun disco one, Stars and Stripes, her solo called God's Grace that was Come Thou Font and then the closing number was called Vision for the Future and both she and Emma were in that one. Emma was a purple mountain, a flapper girl in the Charleston, moon landing (her favorite), and in one about westward expansion that had a saloon/rodeo vibe.
The show was so amazing and I'm so proud of my girls and it was fun to watch them dance. Emma was really crying after the show because she is really going to miss Lily next year but surprisingly, Lily didn't cry at all. Later that night my sister, brother-in-law, niece and her fiancee arrived so we got them all settled and got to bed.
Saturday was pretty busy. We had a pancake breakfast for everyone (all 13 people staying in my house; the three at the rental declined) and then we all went to the super bowl for Brandon's flag football league. Unfortunately it was a tough game and they lost but Brandon had a great defensive play so that was a positive way to end the season. We were quite the cheering section! Then we went to Bruster's for ice cream and then some of the kids went to the pool, some people went home, and I went with KayLee and K-E to walk around Solomon's.
Then it was more leftovers for dinner (Josh's dad took the boys out for dinner) and the rest of us went to the show. Again it was so beautiful and fun and I liked it even better because I knew what was coming. It really is so creative and impressive what they come up with and how it all fits together so well. So many people were there to support the girls and it was so sweet; the Wiests came, Noreen, Johnna Nelson and Lori Davis and Jennifer Lyons all came, and of course lots of family plus we have our dance families like the Rays, Coxes and Howells. It was a lovely night and I am really going to miss seeing Lily on that stage but she went out with so much style and grace; I just love her. I'm also excited to watch Emma continue to grow and improve.
Sunday morning the Janssons left and I remembered I was teaching primary so I prepared my lesson and we went to church all together since Josh had cleared his church schedule to spend the day with family. I got a new calling as the primary secretary, which I think will be a fun new challenge. I haven't ever been in a primary presidency and I haven't been in any presidency since I was in YW with Leisa and Debby 10 years ago so it will take some adjusting to get used to more meetings. I've really enjoyed being a primary teacher and especially co-teaching with Leisa has been great and so easy. We had a super fun class last year and while a more chatty one this year, they are also good kids and I love teaching the gospel. I just got called to do the valiant activities last fall so it hasn't been that long but I've enjoyed that too, especially because it was fun to serve with Donna and Leisa. I think we've had some pretty good activities and I won't miss having to go on Wednesday nights but I will miss hanging out with the girls and being creative in our activities.
After getting set apart we hurried home because Josh's family came over and spent the afternoon with us. We did an early Father's day celebration since we had both of our dads here. Mom made rolls, I made mashed potatoes and green beans, Josh's dad grilled us steaks and then Brandon and Lily made brownies for dessert. It was a tasty dinner and we all sat around the dining room table and talked and it was good. I'm grateful to have such a loving dad and a father-in-law who has always treated me kindly. We watched some old videos of the kids and chatted and Dad told stories about living in Colorado as a kid and it was a nice evening.





































Sounds like a wonderful and very busy week.
ReplyDelete