Mary (AKA Mom D)
I first met Mary when I was 17 years old and after our second date, Josh brought me to his house and introduced me to his parents. I started coming over more often and we would regularly play euchre with his parents or I would play Skip-Bo with his mom and younger sister. I called her Mrs. D back then and thought she was a very nice lady. She always welcomed me into their home and she made delicious cookies and it was easy to talk to her.
I'm not quite sure what she thought of me back in those days and our story is a bit complicated but when Josh decided to get baptized, that changed everything. It meant we could get married and that I was around for good. I know she wasn't thrilled with Josh's decision, being a faithful Catholic, but she was kind and supportive and able to recognize how much happier he was once he got baptized. She probably didn't want him to leave for two years and serve a mission for the church, but she took the time to go meet with Josh's bishop and talk it over with him. I never have heard her say anything negative about those circumstances that I know were challenging for her. She is very good about putting other people's happiness above her own desires. She is unselfish and so kind and raised the most amazing man I know.
I know Josh's parents were probably disappointed with our choice to be married in the temple, because not being members of the church they were not prepared to enter the temple and participate in the sacred ordinances therein, but in the end they showed up at the temple as soon as we came out, which was very meaningful to us. She gave the most wonderful talk about how families are like quilts at our ring ceremony and my heart was deeply touched. She has showed me nothing but love and open arms into their family and it became very natural to call her mom.
Many people I know struggle in their relationships with their mother-in-law and I always feel a sense of gratitude that mine is so wonderful. She never gives unsolicited advice or criticizes me, well, except about my driving. In fact, she is always building me up and telling me what a wonderful mother I am. She loves my children so whole-heartedly and is generous in her affection. As they grow up and realize that Nana doesn't do some of what we do because of our differing religions, she handles their questions with grace and respect. When we were really struggling to parent our oldest during a very difficult phase, she reached out and offered support and counsel and sorrowed with me.
Earlier this year in May I had a very rough week. My husband traveled two weeks in a row, every single one of my children got a stomach bug and pink eye so we were stuck in the house for days and days during what was the rainiest month of my life and I was emotionally and physically wiped. I talked with Mom one of those days and just a few hours later my doorbell rang. I opened it up to a beautiful bouquet of flowers that she had sent to brighten my day. I cried with gratitude for her simple and thoughtful gesture. I know what she wanted to do was get in her car and drive down to help me and the kids but unable to do that, she sent me as much sunshine and love as she could, for which I was so grateful.
She appreciates whimsy, is silly and fun and always ready to help our family in whatever way she is able. I'm sure I've upset or disappointed her but I've only ever felt love and acceptance from her. I love her generous heart and appreciate how wonderfully she treats me for truly, she is an incredible blessing in my life.
I'm not quite sure what she thought of me back in those days and our story is a bit complicated but when Josh decided to get baptized, that changed everything. It meant we could get married and that I was around for good. I know she wasn't thrilled with Josh's decision, being a faithful Catholic, but she was kind and supportive and able to recognize how much happier he was once he got baptized. She probably didn't want him to leave for two years and serve a mission for the church, but she took the time to go meet with Josh's bishop and talk it over with him. I never have heard her say anything negative about those circumstances that I know were challenging for her. She is very good about putting other people's happiness above her own desires. She is unselfish and so kind and raised the most amazing man I know.
Earlier this year in May I had a very rough week. My husband traveled two weeks in a row, every single one of my children got a stomach bug and pink eye so we were stuck in the house for days and days during what was the rainiest month of my life and I was emotionally and physically wiped. I talked with Mom one of those days and just a few hours later my doorbell rang. I opened it up to a beautiful bouquet of flowers that she had sent to brighten my day. I cried with gratitude for her simple and thoughtful gesture. I know what she wanted to do was get in her car and drive down to help me and the kids but unable to do that, she sent me as much sunshine and love as she could, for which I was so grateful.
She appreciates whimsy, is silly and fun and always ready to help our family in whatever way she is able. I'm sure I've upset or disappointed her but I've only ever felt love and acceptance from her. I love her generous heart and appreciate how wonderfully she treats me for truly, she is an incredible blessing in my life.
Comments
Post a Comment