Italian Cookies and Skittle Casserole
When I returned from my semester in London, I decided to do the spring term at BYU from April to June. The friend from home that I had lived with my freshman and half of my sophomore year decided she wanted to live with some other girls but she was kind enough to sign a housing contract for me so that at least when I got back I had someplace to live. I was anxious though about moving into a place where I didn't know anyone, plus I had furniture from my old apartment that I had to somehow to get my new one.
I moved in on a Monday and just six days later I was writing in my journal how I loved my roommates and felt so at home. Carrie and I actually shared a room and on Thursday morning she made my bed for me while I was in the shower and on Friday she made me dinner. She also borrowed her parents' big van and helped me move my furniture from the old apartment to our new one. At first I was kind of overwhelmed by her energy level but her kindness and willingness to love quickly made us the best of friends, even though we are so different.
Our first Sunday Carrie invited a bunch of guys over for dinner. She made a broccoli chicken casserole and thought it would be fun to put a surprise in it so we hid a red skittle in the casserole and whoever got it was supposed to win a chocolate bar. Unfortunately the skittle bled red goo all over the casserole and it was pretty gross, but everyone had a good laugh about it. One evening Carrie got the idea to make some Italian butter cookies and just go door to door to all of guys that lived in our ward, introduce ourselves and give them cookies. I would never, EVER have thought this was a good idea but somehow Carrie made it not only seem okay, but fun. We met almost all of the guys that lived right by our apartment complex and some of them became very close friends. One night she decided to have a root beer float party and invite all of the girls in our building. I loved that Carrie was so outgoing that I couldn't help but go along with her. I was more friendly and talkative with new people during the year that we lived together than at any other time in my life.
I love biking on smooth, flat, pavement but the more bruises she has, the cooler she thinks she looks, so my dare devil of a friend decided to take me mountain biking. I didn't realize this meant biking down a steep mountain with rocks and trees and branches in the way. I ended up getting off my bike and walking down, much to Carrie's amusement. We went to concerts, plays and some movies together (she talks out loud during movies which I found to be super embarrassing so we usually just watched movies at home). We both loved Disney and would speak in quotes from Disney movies, then collapse in laughter while others would just stare at us. We attended church events together, cooked together, shopped together and dealt with crazy, meowing roommates together. She would pretend to be asleep while I would lay in bed at night, talking on the phone to my out-of-state boyfriend, then laugh at something I said. She insisted on having the windows open in the middle of winter and if I annoyed her, she'd get up out of her bed and open up our closet door, which she knew drove me crazy.
When my boyfriend came to visit, she lent me her cool leather jacket and while we were out she set up a candle lit dinner for us in our apartment. When he left on a mission for our church, she went with us to drop him off at the training center and to say goodbye. She even did my cleaning for me that day so that I could pass our apartment's cleaning check. When I left to also serve a mission, she wrote me diligently and sent me treats. She was my maid of honor and did my hair for me on my wedding day.
She may have once taken my Oreos (I used to eat two every night after dinner) and replaced the cream with toothpaste and she may have once put chunks of chocolate on a ham sandwich she had made for me while we were on a road trip but I am forever grateful for how many times she pulled me along with her to have fun and meet new people. She made me a better person and was there to support me during important life events, thus firmly weaving her friendship forever and deeply into my life.
I moved in on a Monday and just six days later I was writing in my journal how I loved my roommates and felt so at home. Carrie and I actually shared a room and on Thursday morning she made my bed for me while I was in the shower and on Friday she made me dinner. She also borrowed her parents' big van and helped me move my furniture from the old apartment to our new one. At first I was kind of overwhelmed by her energy level but her kindness and willingness to love quickly made us the best of friends, even though we are so different.
Our first Sunday Carrie invited a bunch of guys over for dinner. She made a broccoli chicken casserole and thought it would be fun to put a surprise in it so we hid a red skittle in the casserole and whoever got it was supposed to win a chocolate bar. Unfortunately the skittle bled red goo all over the casserole and it was pretty gross, but everyone had a good laugh about it. One evening Carrie got the idea to make some Italian butter cookies and just go door to door to all of guys that lived in our ward, introduce ourselves and give them cookies. I would never, EVER have thought this was a good idea but somehow Carrie made it not only seem okay, but fun. We met almost all of the guys that lived right by our apartment complex and some of them became very close friends. One night she decided to have a root beer float party and invite all of the girls in our building. I loved that Carrie was so outgoing that I couldn't help but go along with her. I was more friendly and talkative with new people during the year that we lived together than at any other time in my life.
I love biking on smooth, flat, pavement but the more bruises she has, the cooler she thinks she looks, so my dare devil of a friend decided to take me mountain biking. I didn't realize this meant biking down a steep mountain with rocks and trees and branches in the way. I ended up getting off my bike and walking down, much to Carrie's amusement. We went to concerts, plays and some movies together (she talks out loud during movies which I found to be super embarrassing so we usually just watched movies at home). We both loved Disney and would speak in quotes from Disney movies, then collapse in laughter while others would just stare at us. We attended church events together, cooked together, shopped together and dealt with crazy, meowing roommates together. She would pretend to be asleep while I would lay in bed at night, talking on the phone to my out-of-state boyfriend, then laugh at something I said. She insisted on having the windows open in the middle of winter and if I annoyed her, she'd get up out of her bed and open up our closet door, which she knew drove me crazy.
When my boyfriend came to visit, she lent me her cool leather jacket and while we were out she set up a candle lit dinner for us in our apartment. When he left on a mission for our church, she went with us to drop him off at the training center and to say goodbye. She even did my cleaning for me that day so that I could pass our apartment's cleaning check. When I left to also serve a mission, she wrote me diligently and sent me treats. She was my maid of honor and did my hair for me on my wedding day.She may have once taken my Oreos (I used to eat two every night after dinner) and replaced the cream with toothpaste and she may have once put chunks of chocolate on a ham sandwich she had made for me while we were on a road trip but I am forever grateful for how many times she pulled me along with her to have fun and meet new people. She made me a better person and was there to support me during important life events, thus firmly weaving her friendship forever and deeply into my life.
Comments
Post a Comment