Baseball, piano and dance

I went to book club, which was fun. The book took place in Greece so Amy had hummus and veggies and dried fruits and also the most amazing little strawberry cheesecakes. I love book club and am grateful for that time each month to chat with my ladies and also be pushed to read books I wouldn't normally read. I also hosted a brunch that week that was fun. Time together is so important and strengthens relationships and I feel like our ward family has lost a lot of that since covid and we need to recover. I may start hosting them monthly and see if people keep coming.
Josh had a four day weekend, which was amazing. Friday we went out on a date while the kids were at school. We first went for a long walk and talked and then we tried a restaurant down at Solomon's that was a cool vibe but I didn't love my food. We also went to Lowes and got a power washer and then the kids started coming home. That night Curtis used his fire pit to make a fire and we did smores once Emma got home from dance and it was wonderful. I love being with my family and just having down time together. Saturday was the first one since Christmas that we didn't have any sports, dance or church responsibilities. It was fabulous! We slept in and had a big breakfast then Josh power washed for six hours while I took the kids to see Super Mario Brothers. I also had an eye exam and then we had a lovely dinner outside on our newly cleaned patio. It was so nice to be together and relax.
Memorial day was nice. The ward picnic was fun and the weather pretty much held. Then we were supposed to meet up with the Wilsons but they couldn't so we just came home and chilled. I am very grateful for our country and the many who have died to keep us and others free. It is an amazing gift and I feel so sad for those who have lost loved ones in wars and in the line of duty. People can be so brave and selfless.
June has been good. I teach Elizabeth (our stake YW president) piano lessons over google hang out but since we needed to prep for the recital she came down for an in-person lesson and it was so fun. We ended up talking for three hours and could have kept going had my other piano lesson not showed up. One Sunday after she was visiting our ward just over a year ago I decided she was cool and I wanted to be her friend so I emailed her and it ended up I started teaching her piano and now a year later, we are definitely friends and it is such a blessing.
Michelle and I had a beautiful day at the temple (and Elizabeth was randomly there too--so fun!) and the girls have had lots of dance rehearsals for their show this weekend. Curtis had his playoffs this past weekend (it was fun; they even announced the players and had music) and we also went to a graduation party that was nice. My kids love going to parties, mostly because of all of the food, and they had fun with their friends. We stayed late enough that we helped clean up a bit and it was good to support the kids from our ward.
Sunday was a lovely day at church and then I spent the afternoon baking and having my kids practice the piano. I had my piano recital that evening (not really by choice but there was no other night I could have it) and I was very nervous about it. However, it all went well. All of my students got through their songs without any memory issues so that is a win. Most everyone played really well too; only one girl struggled with lots of mistakes but she kept going and most of them nailed it. I was really proud of them and so relieved at the same time. My kids did well too and that made me happy. After everyone did their two recital pieces I had everyone do a duet and it was fun to play with some of the kids but then all the siblings played together and two of my students played with their moms. It was really sweet and fun and I especially loved watching Emma and Brandon play. It was super cute. I got to play my favorite duet of Cannon in D with my most advanced student and that made me happy. It is so wonderful to create music and so fun to do it with someone else and Emma said while listening to that song all her cares just floated away. :)
Then I had gotten a bunch of vanilla ice cream and people could choose how to "duet" it with what they wanted. I had brownies, root beer, chocolate chip cookie pie, apple crisp and hot fudge/sprinkles/nuts. I love how people mingle and talk and I think food makes any event more fun even though it is a lot of work on my part. It was such a relief to have it done and it has been dreamy not to have piano lessons this week, which works out well because dance is nuts this week with all the rehearsals and then performances and my in-laws are coming. Sometimes I wonder why I keep up with piano lessons but I really do enjoy how it connects me to my neighbors and community and allows me to bring them into our church building and be a positive influence on the kids. The money helps pay for dance so even though it is stressful and listening to kids who don't practice is painful, it is also rewarding and good. I am only teaching one girl over the summer (and my own kids) so it is going to be a nice break until fall. I have felt pretty insecure about myself and interactions with other people lately and this was a nice boost to feel like I have made a small difference to these students. I also didn't take a single picture but thankfully Leisa thought about it and at least got this one.
Yesterday I went to school and helped Brandon's class with field day. It was beautiful weather and fun to be with my little guy. I enjoy seeing my kids in their school environments and how they behave and I'm so grateful they are good kids who love school and work hard. I was surprised by how some of the kids talked to their classmates and there were a few kids who struggled to listen or take turns or control their feelings and I just applaud our teachers for dealing with so much. My team was awesome though and my competitive juices kicked in a bit so I was cheering for my team and really hanging with them while the other adults just sat back and watched while they played. I wonder if I would be a good coach because I genuinely do love playing sports and working as a team and watching kids succeed but I don't know how good at teaching skills I am or how patient I would be, plus the only sport I know well enough to coach is volleyball and I am certainly not qualified to help a high school team. It could be fun though.
Then it was all about getting the girls to their four-hour dance rehearsal and we stopped into the dance store because it is closing and everything is on sale but no pointe shoes in Lily's size. :( Then I took the boys to Nicolletti's because Brandon's team sponsor hosted a party for the team, which was so nice. It was good to see our team friends again and have dinner together and Brandon had a great time. I left early to go to Johnna's piano recital while Josh took the boys home and then picked up the girls. It was good to see how she does things differently, although also much the same, and support the Ray girls and other ward friends. Johnna also teaches a kid that used to be on Brandon's team so it was good to see their family too. It was a nice evening and I am glad I went. Now I am supposed to be cleaning to get ready for our company to come tomorrow. It is show week and I am so excited to see my girls dance!







Comments
Post a Comment