Concerts and awards and seminary graduation
We have successfully navigated another busy May week. Monday Lily had her BECA Scholarship awards ceremony. There were a lot of kids there from all four high schools and there were a lot of awards to give out but they were very efficient and it was an hour and a half, just as they promised. The presenters weren't even allowed to speak about their organization; just say the name of the recipient but it kept things moving. There were a few memorial scholarships given out in honor of lost loved ones and lots of businesses and then from county organizations. Lily won the one from the Rotary Club that she received last week at the Olive Garden dinner but they presented it again and then she got one from the St. Mary's Art Council. Every little bit helps! I saw a few previous piano students and some neighbors and Lily's friend from dance and I just felt blessed to be a part of such a nice community. Then we went home and Lily made dinner while I went to pick up Brandon from practice.

Tuesday I went walking with Michelle and to Inklings and then I had a lot to do but my friend called me on the drive home and we talked for almost two hours. She has gone through a lot the last two years and we haven't really talked but she was finally ready so we did. It was good to reconnect and she seems happy and more like her self than I remember her being in awhile so that was good. Then I had to make a grocery list and teach piano lessons and plan our primary activity and then get Brandon to his band concert. It was band and strings and let me tell you that squeaky violins are the worst. I am so glad we will no longer have to listen to any strings concerts from here on out. It was kind of long and a bit painful and Brandon's band was last but he played well and I'm glad he loves music. I left straight from there to go to book club so no dinner for me but thankfully Donna had made quite the spread and it was great. We had a good discussion about The Tipping Point and it was a good evening.
Wednesday I went to the gym and grocery store and chatted with Lily and made dinner and then I picked up Emma early from dance and we went to her NJHS induction ceremony. The email had said it would go from 6-7 but it was over in 20 minutes. There weren't that many kids inducted and so it was pretty simple but I'm proud of Emma and I think it will be very good for her to be part of a service organization. Then we went to church for activities and it was a little crazy. The kids were supposed to help with a Father's day gift but they couldn't do it so it got very stressful and was taking up my activity time so I kind of wrapped it up and we moved on to what I had planned. We did a missionary preparation night and it was so fun. We talked a little bit about what missionaries do and then we practiced some missionary skills: listening, knowing the scriptures and working with a companion. We did some listening games and then talked about the Book of Mormon (I had wanted to learn the song that says all the books in order but we didn't have time) and then we played missionary tag for working with a companion. We'll have to do it again sometime and work on other skills because it was a bit rushed and the girls were chatty so we didn't get as into it as I was hoping but I think it was still a good activity.
Thursday Lily had her senior awards ceremony at 9am. It was a longer ceremony but nice and Lily got a national merit award for being in the top 5 percent of her class and then the seal of biliteracy for Spanish. If it wasn't for one B in freshman English, she would have won the award for straight As all four years too. We were talking about it and she was so annoyed that "freshman Lily just couldn't pull it together." :) I'm so proud of all of her hard work in challenging classes these last four years. They didn't say anything about GIS but I think she gets to wear a cord at graduation for that. Adi and Michelle were there too so afterwards we took our girls out for some ice cream (all Adi could eat since she's recovering from her wisdom teeth) but actually I got Lily a doughnut and Michelle had chicken so just Adi and I had ice cream at 11 am. Then I took Lily to the doctor for her 17-year well visit and it was fine. I don't love our doctor's office and if I had to take my kids there more than once a year I would probably switch but we got the job done. That evening was Brandon's chorus concert. Curtis came with me and Josh met us there and it was super fun. I love Mrs. Gass and she does the best concerts. There is always a theme and the kids are always so enthusiastic and it is infectious. It was short and sweet and as soon as it was done I got Brandon to his flag football practice. Busy day.
Friday Josh had off but Lily was around so it messed up our date mojo. We went for a walk and then she had friends over and so we just tried to stay out of their way. It was early dismissal and so Josh played catch with the boys that afternoon and later I played Wii sports with Brandon and we just kind of hung around with the kids all afternoon/evening. Oh, we also the boys and I went and cleaned the church while the girls were dancing.
Saturday we actually had nothing going on for the first time since January and so we were lazy. We slept in and made a big breakfast that we ate at 11am. I love lazy Saturday mornings and just having everyone around. I also love when Josh makes pancakes. Then we did some cleaning and I went to a baby shower and then Josh and I went to see Michael. I am not a huge fan but do enjoy a lot of his music so I enjoyed it and Josh (who was a super fan back in the day) really enjoyed it. They story had some holes and there were big jumps I wish weren't there but it was a fun movie and we had a good time. Then Curtis went babysitting and Lily went to a game night so the four of us were hanging out. Josh was busy planning our trip and Emma was reading but Brandon and I played skee ball and then got out the karaoke machine. It was super fun and we even got Emma and Josh involved. My favorite of the night was Brandon singing Piano Man by Billy Joel, a song he and Josh apparently listen to in the car a lot. He was super into it and it was so cute and funny.
Yesterday church was great and my primary lesson went pretty well and I got to chat with Leisa while we waited for our girls in their presidency meeting. Then it was home to make dinner and get out the door to seminary graduation. We picked up the Rays and got there a fashionable five minutes late. There were some nice talks, especially Josh's. He never used to really cry but as he was speaking he caught Lily's eye and really had to control his emotions. I love listening to him speak and am so proud of Lily. I drove her to seminary for three years and then this last year she drove but it has been a sacrifice and hard to do for sure to get up so early every day and show up to study the scriptures. I know it has been a blessing to her and I was thrilled to celebrate her accomplishments last night. There were good cupcakes, we chatted with stake friends and then got home late. Josh ate dinner and we chatted and got to bed because Josh was exhausted from a poor night's sleep and then a very busy day.
So grateful for our country today and all those who have kept us safe throughout history. It is such a blessing to be able to worship as I choose, be educated, live in prosperity and safety and peace.












Comments
Post a Comment