The week of Curtis

Tuesday evening he was inducted into the National Honors Society. Lily had pneumonia so we missed hers so I was thrilled to go and it was 30 minutes and very efficient. I sat with Nicole Davis and saw Aryin and appreciate knowing these great ladies who have awesome daughters in Curtis's class. All of his friends were pretty much there. They are the nicest group of high schoolers I have met. They are all really good kids and I was glad I could be there, although Curtis was not as enthralled as I was and actually kind of asked for some space to be with his friends. Whatever; I talked with Nicole and it was all fine.
Wednesday he also had a baseball game against L-Town but their field was too wet so it got moved to St. Mary's College. Now that is a nice field and even though we got there at the top of the 2nd because of piano lessons, we timed it perfectly because Curtis had an awesome play at 3rd base and then he pitched innings 3-5. He struck out a kid, only had one walk and lots of hits but for the most part his outfielders did their jobs well. He held them to just two runs an inning where the previous pitcher had 7 runs so they still lost but at least Curtis played well and did his part. He has room for growth; his pitches are kind of slow, but he is in a good place right now. Bonus: we didn't have to pay to watch the game! It was windy and cold though so we were glad when it was over and I took the boys to get some Wendy's while the girls were off at church activities.
Thursday was beautiful. I got to meet up with Elizabeth and we walked for two hours and talked the whole time and it was wonderful. Brandon had practice and so did Curtis but then his STEM teachers rented out the movie theater for any STEM student to see Project Hail Mary so he went to see that and said it was really good. I enjoyed reading the book years ago so I'm excited to see it soon too.
Friday I subbed all day in a 1st grade class and it was so fun. It was an early dismissal day so it just flew by and the kids were super cute and good. I thought they might be a bit crazy but they were really good and I very much enjoyed it. It helped that the teacher next door was super nice and friendly; she invited me to eat lunch with them and chatted with me during recess. It really made me feel like I belonged and it was very kind of her. I also got to see this cutie perform his safety patrol duties. Curtis was supposed to have a game but with all the rain it got cancelled. The best part of the day was that Josh finally got home and everyone was very happy to see him. We had a nice dinner and caught up on everything and it was great.
Saturday we dropped Emma at dance, then Curtis at practice, then went to Brandon's first flag football game. It was cold and windy but the sun felt good so we survived. Brandon played defense and didn't do much but he likes it that way; he is happy to run around and be a part of the team but not have to do a lot. They were about to win when the other team challenged something the refs did and after quite a pow wow they decided to undo the last play where we had scored and so we ended up losing by six. I thought the team played well but honestly, football is not my game and I wasn't sure what was going on a lot of the time. I can watch regular football but flag football is different and after baseball it feels so chaotic so I just cheered and tried to keep up. Then we went and picked Curtis up and I spent the afternoon making cookie dough brownies and a sweet potato casserole for our ward Easter dinner. The activity was very nice and we had a good time; although we didn't really socialize much since we sat together at a table and pretty much take it all up. I had hoped Josh and I might be able to make a movie but instead we came home and watched That Thing You Do, which everyone enjoyed though some doubted my choice.
Sunday was a lovely Easter program at church. For the first time we have enough Easter music to kind of do what we have at Christmas where we read scriptures and then sing songs that follow along with the Christmas story. The young women sang Hosanna and the kids sang Gethsemane and I accompanied a small group singing Were You There? (which was so beautiful) and the choir sang and we got to stand and sing Christ is Risen and it was beautiful. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to bulking up our Easter traditions and celebration.
Then after church Curtis received his patriarchal blessing. It was such a beautiful and sacred experience. I have only ever been in the room when mine was given and then Lily's so this is only the third time I've ever heard one be given and it was so amazing. God knows Curtis; of that I have no doubt and while I have always known Curtis is a good kid with a special earthly purpose it was so wonderful to hear it from Heavenly Father. The patriarch was so nice and drove down to meet us and he was very sweet and kind and kept telling Curtis that he could just feel that he was a good young man and that God loved him. It was a really wonderful and special and I'm so grateful for revelation and blessings and priesthood power and a son who has such potential and promise.





Sounds like a great week!
ReplyDelete