HONK! Now with pictures!


 

 March rolled in and we rolled on with Brandon's play. His school did Honk Jr. (story of the ugly duckling) and Brandon was the turkey so he was in all the barnyard scenes. He also was a frog for a short while to have more people on stage during a song but he looked a bit goofy and was therefore in the back because his face was all orange from his turkey make up while wearing all green. Anyway, he had rehearsal every day after school. I had gone one day to help monitor kids back stage and then Thursday I went and helped serve dinner and stayed for the parent preview. I'm always so impressed with how the show comes together. Friday Josh and I went on a date to see the show and then Saturday I was at the school all day selling tickets, helping with concessions and selling tickets again then watching the show with my family. Long day but now we're done with Evergreen theater and that makes me sad. But it was so sweet we had lots of friends come to see Brandon and also the other three kids from our ward in the show. The Wiests came Friday night and Noreen and Cherissa were there too, then Abby and Isla came Saturday and for the later show the Michelle and Delaney came. We're so grateful for our friends who are like family.

 


 

 

Brandon did a good job with his part, even though he almost never smiled. I kept telling him to but he said it was too hard to smile and sing or talk at the same time. He made some good friends and I think enjoyed the experience. He's a very even-keeled kid and so it is hard to tell when he's happy or excited. He was pretty sad Saturday night though and feeling the let down of the show being over after 5 months of practicing. I was surprised last year when he said he wanted to do the play but I'm proud of him for being brave and trying something new and going for it again this year. I don't know if he'll stick with theater because he isn't a confident singer but we'll see. There is definitely more room for you in the theater if you are a boy so depending on the show, maybe he will at least try out and see what happens in middle school.

Lily's pen pal is in Brandon's class and is also the daughter of Lily's first grade teacher and she was the frog. She did a super job and was so excited to see Lily there! It was super cute.

Backing up on Tuesday after Inklings and a quick walk in the rain with Michelle, I went to hear Lily and Curtis play with their bands for adjudication. Lily's band was awesome and her teacher is very entertaining to watch while he conducts. Curtis's teacher broke his arm back in January and has been out so they had a science teacher step in to conduct them. They still played well but Curtis is thinking he is done with band. That makes me super sad but I understand; his teacher just isn't great or inspiring and that is part of what makes being in band so fun. I was busy clapping so only got a picture of Curtis as he was already exiting the stage. 


 

Thursday I subbed at a new school and it was eye-opening. The class was very needy--six of the kids didn't speak English and a few others had some serious learning issues. They were relatively good but I found it very overwhelming to try and keep everyone engaged with so many needs. A lot of the time when I just pop in for a short period of time, it is very easy but this was a lot of work and I feel like I certainly earned my money that day and then some. 

Friday I sat on the couch for a few hours and did made Lily's graduation announcement, figured out our flights for our summer trip, worked on other plans and paid bills and sent emails and felt very productive while being very lazy at the same time. 

Saturday Curtis had a scrimmage and he played well--oh yeah, he made the varsity team and we are proud of him--and the girls had dance but then we all met up for the show and afterwards went to Bruster's for PJ day with the Rays. We love us some free ice cream and friends! It was great to chat and then we had a small dinner when we got home and got to bed. Brandon was a bit emotional with the show being over; it is such a let down after all that work. Since it was daylight savings we sent everyone to bed pretty early, except Curtis stayed up and watched a movie with us that was a nice story and slightly boring. 


 


 



Sunday Lily left right from church to go to her stake youth lead committee meeting and then Emma went with the Ainas up a little later for their camp meetings and Josh was home a bit in the afternoon but then went to do temple recommend interviews up at Calvert so it was just me and the boys most of the day. We baked cookies and Brandon made brownies and we read and chilled since everyone was kind of tired. 

So far this week has been pretty normal with every day stuff including cleaning, Inklings, a nice long walk yesterday with Michelle, piano lessons and I did go to the RS activity last night. 


  


And we'll finish up with some random pictures!

Comments

  1. Congratulations to Curtis! And, yay Brandon for trying something new!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

and the beat goes on

Life

Back to school