Christmas, New Year's and Snow!
Christmas day I woke up about 8:20 am and woke Josh up and then I got Emma and Brandon and woke up the big kids. Curtis was especially slow so we didn't start opening up presents until almost 9am. We had a more low-key Christmas this year with all of our traveling this year and especially our recent Disney trip. We want the kids to appreciate that we choose to spend our money doing things instead of having things. So Lily got a leotard from Santa, a jewelry box and some earrings, Curtis got a nice watch to track his running, books and a game, Emma got a decorative gnome that she was super excited about and boots and a Tigger sweatshirt and a necklace I bought her while in Disney, Brandon got some minion PJs, a Winnie the Pooh hat, a LEGO gadget book and a Little League World Series sweatshirt (actually so did Curtis) and Josh got a bunch of clothes. He got me a nice speaker to play music in our kitchen and my kids got me some slippers that I can wear when I am driving them all over the place without having to put shoes on. They gave Josh a very thoughtful gift; they each made him trail mix. I took them to the store and they got a bunch of ingredients and then came home and they all made their own mix. Lily printed off cute pictures of each kid with Josh and used them to make labels for the jars. He loves trail mix and is obsessed with nuts right now so it was a great gift.
We had our traditional breakfast and talked to two of my sisters and my parents and then Josh's family that afternoon. Brandon spent the day putting his LEGO car from Curtis together and we played some games and watched a movie that night after we had turkey leftovers for dinner. We had actually been invited to a friend's house for Christmas dinner and I wanted to go but my family was not willing to get out of their pjs or go anywhere so we stayed home. It was a very lovely, relaxing family day.
The next day was also super lazy and relaxing and I honestly can't remember exactly what we did but I am pretty sure we didn't go anywhere either. Oh right, Josh made homemade tortillas for our grilled chicken quesadillas and they were good.
Friday I went grocery shopping and the kids and Josh cleaned up the house before we left for D.C. We picked up my in-laws at the airport and went to the Air and Space museum annex at Dulles for about an hour. They had never been there but we were just there last year so we did a quick tour, mostly looking at the space shuttle and some of the military planes and historical ones (like the Enola Gay). Then we went to the Silver Diner for dinner and then to the temple to see the lights. My in-laws have also never seen the D.C. temple and they were impressed. We walked all around the lights and even waited in line to see the nativities. I would have loved to stay for the concert but I knew my in-laws were tired from traveling and didn't want to push it too much so we headed home, swinging by Chick-fil-A for some peppermint milkshakes on our way. It was a fun day.
Saturday was rainy but I had already bought tickets to go to Annemarie Gardens because Lily was volunteering there again. So we had a very slow morning and my in-laws gave their gifts to the kids (Lily, a lunchbox, Brandon a pizza pillow/blanket, Emma a Wicked sweatshirt and Curtis a space game on the computer that he absolutely loves and played for days and days afterwards) and we talked and had dinner and then went to the Garden in Lights display. We haven't been since Lily was a baby because it is kind of expensive but because the weather wasn't super, we pretty much had the place to ourselves and that was nice. We walked all through the displays and looked at the LEGO display and Lily was able to come around with us since it was really quiet that night. It had stopped raining though so it really was a lovely night and I enjoyed the display. Josh and I actually walked all around again and we waited a bit for Lily to be done and then we went home.
Sunday my MIL came with us to church, which was nice. Curtis gave a talk and I was playing the organ and Lily was leading the music and Josh was on the stand so it was nice to have her sit with Emma and Brandon. Curtis did a good job on his talk, although I told him that it is always nice to have a personal story or at least a personal testimony but he says he doesn't like to talk about himself. I hope his mission helps him be a bit more open and communicative. We watched White Christmas that afternoon.
Monday was another D.C. day. My FIL loves all things presidential so for Christmas we gave him this fun day in D.C. We started at Ford's theater and learned all about President Lincoln's assassination. The museum is definitely dated so it was a lot of reading but it was interesting. I didn't realize that the theater had actually been completely redone; nothing is original to how it was in 1865, but they followed the same plans so it still gives us a good idea of what it was like. The house across the street where he died is still original and I found it all very informative. Then we walked to the White House and went to the new museum there called The People's House. It was surprisingly good. It was all very interactive and there was a replica of the oval office and the cabinet room and lots of interesting displays. We all really enjoyed it. Then we walked by the White House Christmas tree (underwhelming) and then to a restaurant which I can't remember the name of but it has something to do with farmers and it was super good. My in-laws paid for dinner as their gift to us and so we got drinks and appetizers and desserts, none of which we normally get. It was a cool place and the food was good and I was glad I wasn't paying. It was a great D.C. day.
Tuesday we went to see Wicked. We had been waiting for a time but it was so busy and so we were pretty excited to finally get to see it and we all loved it, even Curtis. I took the girls to see the show at the Kennedy Center a few years ago and Josh and I saw it in San Francisco in 2005 but the boys were pretty clueless. I was surprised how much they enjoyed it and how quickly the time went by. It is very well done and completely true to the musical. I didn't think I was going to like Ariana Grande as Glinda but she actually was perfect for it so that was fun to see. We have tried over the years to make NYE interesting but since we don't drink or party, it can be difficult. I ended up making a bunch of appetizers for dinner and we watched the college football play off game and played some games together and then watched the London fireworks and the NYC ball dropping before we all went off to bed.
New Years Day we watched the Rose Parade (can't wait to go in person someday!) and just hung around. My FIL actually bought Wicked so we were able to watch it again. I made a nice dinner (BBQ ribs) and then we watched the Darrow family 2024 video. It was fun to reminisce about Costa Rica and Disney World and our fun summer. 2024 was a great year for our family even though I was dreading some things. I was super nervous about Emma starting middle school and Curtis starting high school but so far, it has been manageable. I was nervous about Lily driving too but she has done so well. She got in a ton of hours of break so that was helpful. I'm not sure she'll be totally ready in February to take her test but we'll see how the month goes. The Schoenys stopped in one night too and it was fun to chat with them for a bit.
My in-laws left on Friday so Josh took them to the airport and then met up with my brother-in-law to pick up my parents and bring them here. It was kind of rough weather but they made it. The kids and I spent the day cleaning and grocery shopping and getting ready for the grandparent swap. Josh really is amazing and I love him so much. Our visit with his parents was very relaxed and nice and I enjoyed having them here.
Saturday we went to Brandon's basketball game (they won!) and to the library and then just relaxed at home. It has been cold and my parents aren't ones to really be adventurous outside anywhere so we haven't done much.
Sunday I got released from my calling as the ward activity leader. Bishop Wiest had actually talked to me weeks ago so I had plenty of time to prepare, which I appreciated. I was pretty sad at first and surprised because it hasn't been that long, but I was also a bit relieved because it is a lot of work. I have had some very sacred experiences while in this calling that maybe I will write about later but I have felt so guided by the spirit and open to revelation, perhaps more than any other calling I've had; I learned so much and felt so close to the Savior as I was planning. I would scroll through the ward list and think about who would be blessed by participating in each activity and what assignment could I give them and I literally saw miracles happen. It was such a privilege and blessing to me and I know the Lord loves each one of us and that it is a special thing when we gather together.
I was called to teach a sweet primary class though with Leisa so that's awesome! I love teaching the gospel and haven't had a teaching calling in 20 years so I'm excited. We have the cutest class and it will be fun to hang out with Leisa and on Sunday the hardest part was keeping quiet during singing time because I know the songs so well.
That night we got a bunch of snow so Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were all snow days. Monday the kids were a bit difficult (Emma was in a mood) but they played outside a lot and Josh was working from home and it was just a cozy, chill day. Tuesday was even better because the kids were outside playing together nicely for hours and it was sunny. We put together a puzzle and played a game and watched Snowball Express. I was surprised that dance was cancelled too so we were just totally free for three extra days. It was nice but I'm glad they went back today, although they had a delay. I love delays so that worked out nicely and now they are at dance and Curtis is at track and Brandon is at play practice. It is good to relax and be together and it is also good for them to be involved in activities, especially physical ones.
































Comments
Post a Comment