End of summer
It has been a busy couple of weeks. My sister asked me today how I have so much fun during the summer. She said she has too many chores to do to play like I do. I don't have a garden and do almost zero yard work in the summer (just cut the grass) and it has been awhile since I've been grocery shopping but my house is still pretty clean so I don't know why she has so much work. Anyway, we spent another whole week at the pool for swim lessons and stayed to swim just about every day. I had to leave to go pick Lily up from her dance intensive while my kids were still at the pool with friends a couple of days because it always amazes me how much longer my kids want to swim when there are friends around.
Last Friday we picked Lily up from dance and headed straight out to go to Virginia Beach for the night. All I wanted to do for my birthday was spend one last summer day at the beach so that's what we did. It was a lovely day and our hotel was right on the water and it was a great way to spend the day. I loved being with my family and we got custard that was so delicious and I was happy. I had told Josh that was all I wanted so when we got home late Saturday night I just opened presents from my sisters/parents and then Monday for FHE he brought home an Oreo ice cream pie from Bruster's that was good. Overall, a lovely birthday celebration.
Sunday was the temple dedication and it was also a lovely day. I went to the first session with Josh while my kids stayed home and watched all the little kids who weren't able to go. I was so proud of my kids for being willing to serve their ward family in such a meaningful way. They really are good-hearted kids and all of them helped out so that it wasn't too crazy. The first session was so wonderful with the prophet leading it and the chapel was filled. I went home but then took the kids back to the 5pm session so we could see our friends singing in the choir. It was much more empty at 5pm and since I had already been through a session I had a harder time focusing but it was still all wonderful and good and we're so, so happy to be able to go to the temple again.
This past week I told the kids they could pick one last summer activity and then it was a bit challenging making it all happen but I did my best. Monday we went to Annemarie Gardens (Emma's pick) and it was such a beautiful day. It was cooler and cloudy and just perfect to be outside in the woods looking for fairy houses. My kids played and then spent awhile in the art lab and then we did the walk around the sculpture garden. It was a really pleasant, though I missed having friends to talk with while the kids played. Although Lily and Curtis are getting old enough now that they didn't really play so I talked to them. In the art lab they each made an amusement park ride, which I thought was so creative. Lily did tea cups, Emma did swings, Brandon made a drop tower and Curtis did a log flume. Emma and Brandon's lego people have been riding in them all week.
Tuesday was a friend day so Curtis went off with friends to Kings Dominion for the day, Brandon went to the Tripp's house, Abigail came here to play with Emma and I can't remember what Lily was doing. I also taught piano and went to book club that night. We read The German Wife and I liked it. We had a good discussion about it and it was a nice evening. Josh worked late and Lily babysat and I just don't know if I say enough how grateful I am for that girl and how she makes my life easier in so many ways.
Wednesday was Lily's 14th birthday! I made her pancakes for breakfast and then she went to Freshman Orientation while I cut the grass. Then I picked her up and got lunch and some friends and went to the pool for the afternoon. It was fun to see her happy with her friends and then they came over for dinner and cake/presents. We didn't do much because we got her a phone so big present means low-key celebration. She was so happy and cried when we gave it to her. I am so nervous about it all but trust her and will try to help her create good phone habits. I still kind of hate cell phones and when people are on them all of the time while we are in social situations so I really don't want her to be one of those kids that feels lost without a phone in their hands. But it will be nice to be able to be in touch with her when she goes to NYC in October and when I need to pick her up at school every day. Then she went to youth activities and Brandon and I cleaned up. Lily really is a sweetheart and very kind and quick to help others. She is fun to talk to and is hard-working. She is tackling a tough academic program in high school, along with adding seminary and dancing 2.5 hours every day while still doing piano and church activities and babysitting. She is silly but mature and is incredibly thoughtful of others. I'm honored to be her mom.
We tried to recreate the photo from when they were little
Thursday I took my boys to Six Flags (Brandon's pick). Lily didn't feel great and didn't want to go anyway and Emma wasn't feeling great either. They both chilled for the day and didn't eat much but Lily was fine by the time we got home. Emma was fine by the next morning so bummer for them but the boys and I had a good time. We met up with the Rays and Michelle and I had a good talk in the lazy river and since it was cooler and they kind of felt done with the water park pretty early in the day, we changed and went and did rides. Curtis went off with the Ray crew to do roller coasters and such while I took Brandon on a lot of the more chill rides. He is an easy kid to hang out with and I enjoyed our time together. We left at 5 so they could get to bed at a good time. Early Friday the boys left for Williamsport to go to the Little League World Series. They had such a great time. The weather was perfect, they watched so many games and had fun cardboard sledding, which is apparently a LLWS tradition. Josh said it was such a kind, family-friendly environment and everyone was respectful and helpful. Some of the things he told me about really gave me hope for our world.
Meanwhile, we girls had fun too. Friday Lily babysat for awhile and I did a lot of catching up on emails, filling out forms for school and getting back on track with life stuff. Then we watched one of Lily's old ballet performances and played Wii party, then after Emma went to bed Lily and I watched Miss Congeniality. Saturday we went and got her new pointe shoes and tap shoes. Lily got moved up to Junior Company, which is pretty much like studio company (level 6) except she is still in level 5 classes. But she has a special Saturday class with the older girls now. It is exciting and I am proud of her but now she has to take tap, which she is not excited about. Maybe she'll like it more once she gets into it. So she got all set for dance, then we went to the bank and got her an account with a debit card so she doesn't have to carry cash all of the time, then shopping at Kohl's, dinner at Panera and we watched Father of the Bride last night. It was a fun girls day.
Today I had an off day at church but life goes on. I really go back and forth with wanting to be friendly and talk to people and also just wanting to crawl in a hole and never talk to anyone ever again. I have felt very tired lately of managing people's feelings and trying to make everyone around me happy. It makes me feel so inadequate. It would be so nice if I could just be myself without always worrying if I was being a good enough friend or mom or if I was doing everything right or if I needed to apologize or reach out or do more.
Two more days of summer to enjoy!






















Sounds like a great finish to summer! You should never worry about being a good enough friend or mom, you are so amazing at both! Definitely one of the best I know :)
ReplyDelete