Ode to Josh

 Today is Josh's birthday and I'm so grateful for him. He has been my best friend since I was 17 and it is such a blessing all these years later that he is still my very best friend. He listens to everything I need to say without judgement or condemnation and lets me work through things. He encourages me to be my best self without making me feel bad when I fall short. He loves me with his whole heart no matter what I do. He is the most fun to go to an amusement park or a big city with, he is relaxed and easy going, he is so patient and endlessly kind, he serves other with an open heart and makes me feel beautiful even when I know I'm not. He is the first person and maybe only person who has ever made me feel like I can truly be myself and who makes me feel totally safe and complete.  

He is the most wonderful father and makes each of our children feel loved, protected and important. He teaches them patiently and calmly and encourages them to be better. He is fun and silly and my partner in every way, especially when it comes to parenting. We have always been on the same page about our kids and support each other completely. My kids know that he is my favorite person in all of the world and that being with him is what makes me happiest. 

Today marks four years since he was set apart as the bishop of our ward. Usually bishops serve about five years so we are on the downward slope for sure and that is a good place to be. He serves so willingly and I'm grateful the Lord has taken us on this journey because I know it has been a blessing to all of us, but it will also be nice to lay this burden of leadership down at some point. Even just this week has been so challenging and Josh was at the church until 11pm Tuesday night meeting with members who are in a tough situation (that's all he told me about it). Someone else needed a last minute temple recommend interview and someone else had a welfare issue that meant he had to drive a good distance to meet with them on a different night and someone else had an interesting situation with a utility bill that he had to figure out and the list of needs and opportunities to serve and grow are endless. It requires a lot of selflessness from both of us and sometimes that is hard. Even though I rarely know the who or the what of any situation, I try to pray for love for that person so that I can let Josh go and serve without resentment that because he is so busy serving others, I have to do so much alone. I recognize that this experience is making me into the person the Savior wants me to be and I try to let that happen without interference. I see how the past four years have changed Josh and I can appreciate how he is more refined and compassionate than before. He has learned how to counsel with people and trust the Lord to lead and guide him in his efforts. He is a good man and I love him for his obedience, dedication to Jesus Christ and his church, commitment to living our covenants and his general love for our ward family. 

Lest any reader think that he is perfect, he isn't, though I think he is close. He can be very focused on something and dive deep which can lead to tunnel vision and he can be so slow sometimes (although maybe that is just an indication that I have a problem with patience). He doesn't like pudding or fruity desserts or sweet potatoes. 

He is a quiet guy and doesn't like to be the center of attention so he never lets me throw a party for him or draw attention to his birthday but I'm so overwhelmed with love for him! I just want him to feel it so I made him doughnut muffins for breakfast and Lily and I just made him a cinnamon roll cake for tonight. I got him a few nice presents but I'm also letting him take the lead on food for our CA trip (which means lots of pizza) and we are going to Nicolletti's tonight for his birthday dinner. The kids are going to clean his car for him and I promised him a back massage and I am going to surprise him with a movie tonight. Happy birthday to Josh! 

Comments

  1. What a sweet tribute to Josh! It sounds like he had a well-deserved, amazing birthday. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh what fun!

Party Time!

Hello October