A Happy Birth Day
Today is a special day. Five years ago today I became a mother. I went through three years of infertility treatments, had one miscarriage, dozens of shots and medications, one D&C and three doctors before I was able to become a mother, but none of that mattered on August 17, 2008 when my beautiful daughter was born.
I woke up around 4am on that Sunday morning and just laid there wondering if I was in labor. I finally stood up and went to the bathroom around 5am and definitely felt a gush that was not normal. I woke my husband up and we then called the doctor who said I should come in to the hospital, so I showered and got ready and we drove to the hospital very calmly. They checked me when I got there at about 6am and I did have a tear so they went ahead and broke my water all of the way for me. Then I got an epidural and the next few hours I just sat around. I couldn’t feel anything below my waist so I was relaxed and not even aware of when I was having contractions. My dear husband tried to read me the Reader’s Digest and I struggled to stay awake because I didn’t want to be rude but I was pretty tired. I did sleep a bit and then finally it was time to get to work. I still couldn’t feel anything (seriously, not anything) so it was tough to push and after two hours the doctor threatened to use the forceps and that seemed to help me. My daughter was born at 2:04 pm but had the cord wrapped around her neck and she was covered in meconium so they whisked her away to get cleaned up before she breathed any of it in. I watched her in awe of the fact that she had finally arrived. Luckily she was fine and declared healthy minutes after her birth. When I got to hold her it was surreal that this baby was actually mine but I was so happy to have her.
Overall it was a relaxed, calm and easy delivery. She didn’t latch well so that created a lot of drama in my life for the next nine months but her entrance into this world went very smoothly. We had called my mother-in-law when we went into the hospital and she hopped in the car with my sister-in-law and drove the eight hours to our house in hopes to be there for the birth. They missed it by an hour but got to meet her when she was still so new and sweet. We had precious moments together as we sat around my hospital room holding her because for the first time we were a mother, a father, a grandmother and an aunt.
This wonderful girl continues to be a source of great love and sweetness in our home. When we took our child birthing class before she was born, the teacher asked us what we hoped our daughter would be like. I said I hoped she would like to snuggle and cuddle. My husband answered that he hoped she would be funny. We both lucked out because she is that and more. She is helpful and kind, loving and thoughtful. I lover her so dearly and I am glad every year we get to celebrate her birthday because while she loves the presents and cake, I love having her for a daughter. I’m grateful to celebrate her life and growth and remember that very special day when she made me a mother.

Comments
Post a Comment