Merry Month of May
The second reason is of course Lily being able to drive. It is amazing how not having to do even just the simple task of picking the girls up from dance every day at 6pm has simplified my life. So much less running around to get them home and so much less stress, especially on a day like today where Lily is leaving dance early to go volunteer for NHS. I don't have to worry about getting her there and getting back to get Emma and wonder when she'll be done and then go back to get her. It is pretty sweet and I'm so grateful!
Last Wednesday was Lily's band concert and it was nice. They sounded good and I especially liked the first song, though I wish they would play songs that are familiar and therefore a bit more fun to listen to. Lily has had a great experience in band this year and really likes her teacher and that makes me happy. It was also a bit of a date night since the other kids all opted to go to their church youth activities.
Thursday I went and picked 26 pounds of strawberries. We ran out of strawberry jam a few months ago so I wanted to make a lot and I sure did. The field was super full though so it was easy to pick and it took me less than an hour by myself. I was literally alone in the field for about half of that time so that was interesting and a bit strange. But I got lots of strawberries and came home and made three batches of jam and froze some.
Curtis had an away game for the playoffs that ended up getting called because of lightning but since it was a playoff game, they had to finish it. That meant Friday he had to go all the way back up to Waldorf to play one inning, which was a bummer because they ended up losing 5-7. Brandon also had a baseball game and it was a good one but they lost 10-11. I was there by myself and it got pretty lonely. Those are the times I wish we had grandparents around; someone else to love and support my kid besides just me. Anyway, Brandon played pretty well and it is fun to watch him catch and I really like his team.
Friday Josh was off but he had a lot to do including picking up a special passport and going to the orthopedist and running mother's day errands so I spent the day making more jam. I ended up with about 24 jars of jam and two bowls of strawberries left to eat. I realized I forgot to make a strawberry pie so I might have to go get some more but I was glad when the strawberries were all taken care of. That night was a ward camp out and I had wanted to go for the fireside part of it but Curtis got back late from his one-inning game and was kind of grumpy and the weather wasn't super and none of my friends were going so the idea lost momentum. We opted for a quiet night at home as a family and it was nice, though I still think it would have been fun to go.
Saturday was busy with rehearsals, Brandon had a game, there was a baptism and then Curtis had a concert. We were all over the place but it all got done. Brandon's game was not his best; he didn't hit well at all and that was frustrating, plus I got a really weird sun burn on my ankles and the tops of my feet. But then we went to the baptism (Josh baptized Morgan, which was so sweet) and we were only 15 minutes late so we got to see the actual baptism and be there for the rest of it and that was nice. I spent many years ministering to Cherissa and her family, as did Josh as the bishop so we're happy to see good things happen for them.
Then I flew home to pick up Curtis for his concert and it was nice. I don't like his teacher as much as Lily's but I'm glad Curtis is going to stick with band and that he enjoys playing the trumpet so much. They played some good songs and Curtis is just third in on the last row so we could see him well, which was nice. As soon as they were done Josh and I left with Emma to drop her off at the Wiests for some Vera birthday time and then we went out to dinner and Lily drove the boys home.
Mother's day turned out pretty nice and I was grateful for my family's efforts. Church was nice and it was fun to meet all together second hour since normally I'm in primary and don't really see anyone but Leisa. Then we got home and Josh had made focaccia buns and we had bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches on them that were super good. Then he left but the kids and I played games all afternoon and I called my mom and they all practiced the piano. Then Lily made Michelle's homemade Alfredo sauce and noodles and apparently Josh had grilled a bunch of chicken the day before so we had a delicious dinner, watched the Amazing Race and had cheesecake Josh had also bought. He tried really hard to be sweet even though he wasn't here and I appreciated it. Lily also got me some ice cream from Brusters and a sweet card, Emma gave me a craft she had made at church and they also got me new oven mitts, since mine were worn through and pretty useless. Very thoughtful and very sweet.
I'm so grateful for my kids and to be their mother and appreciated the reminder of what a sacred and special role being a mother is. It can sometimes just feel unappreciated but most of the time it is amazing to me that these special spirits were entrusted to me and I feel a sacred duty to teach them and prepare them for the great work they were sent to accomplish on this earth. We are in a very sweet spot of life and I am trying very hard to enjoy every moment. I'm also so grateful to my mom. She is a spunky, generous, spiritual lady and some days it is talking to her and feeling her love that keeps me going.
Monday was a cleaning/laundry/piano lesson kind of day and Tuesday I got a lot of the administrative kind of stuff of the family taken care of. It rained all day so that was relaxing and meant no baseball. Wednesday I went to the gym and grocery store and then after piano we went to Emma's concert. She has not enjoyed chorus as much as I would have thought this year and was grumpy about her concert. She said she didn't like any of the songs, which was obvious from her face while singing. I think part of it is just this grumpy stage she is in but also her teacher said some things that crushed her at the beginning of the year and made Emma feel like she wasn't a good singer so she has lost some of her love for it. I hope she finds it again. Lily got there from dance just in time to hear Emma sing and then the kids all left while I stayed and listened to the rest. Three concerts down, one to go!
Yesterday I went to the temple with Michelle, Kimmy and McKenzie and while we had a harrowing drive up, we made it and in time for the session, though just barely. It was a nice full session and I always love being in the temple, especially with friends. Our drive home was much easier and then it was quick, get the girls to dance, then I had two piano lessons, then we rushed out the door to pick up Curtis from school and get Brandon to his game. He had a good game and they won 10-5. I was glad he got a hit and he played catcher for 4 innings and did a really good job of it.
We're all excited for the weekend! Five more days of seminary and only 12 days of school left for my crew! Speaking of schools, Curtis's school has a bad reputation in our county but I will note that their senior prank was to put squeaky rubber ducks all around the school the other day. Drove the teachers crazy with all the squeaking but I thought that was actually a pretty funny prank (and I am not a prankster). On the other hand, some hooligans broke a window and got into Lily's school last night and put oil and peanut butter and paint throughout the school and released chickens. It is so destructive and not a clever or funny prank at all and I hope they can find the kids (they were wearing masks) and punish them for being so thoughtless and dumb. I also hope it didn't disrupt Lily's AP Physics exam this morning. She had already done her AP Research project, then she had AP World History last week, AP Lang on Wednesday and then after physics today she is finally done.











Comments
Post a Comment