I love July!




 It has been a good few days. While the girls were gone Curtis did a "Curtis Camp" with Brandon that was the cutest. He planned activities for the two of them to do each day like knife safety, soap carving, they made a solar oven and cooked pizza in it, they put up the tent, learned how to make a fire, played baseball and we went swimming. It was incredibly sweet and thoughtful. One night we roasted brats and smores and had a fun evening together. I love being around my boys; they are both easy going and fun. Lily had a great experience at camp and came home Friday afternoon exhausted. I ended up leaving her and Emma home (also very tired from her day camp) and went to the river concert with the boys. It was fun music and good company and the fireworks were unfortunately behind the trees but I'm still glad we went. Josh flew home from St. Louis that night but got delayed and didn't get home until 1am. I was just glad he made it and that he doesn't have to fly again anytime soon. 

 

 

Saturday we spent most of the day at the church. First we went to Lucy's baptism (so sweet) and then we stayed for another baptism, both of which I played the piano for and one of which Josh conducted. It was kind of long but both were very nice. We got home and Josh and I sat with Lily and went through all of the camp pictures the leaders had posted and had her tell us all about it and then we went on a date. I had gift cards to the Front Porch so we went out and had a lovely dinner (always tastes better when it is free) and then we were going to walk around Leonardtown but it was raining. It was still very nice just to be together and to talk. 

Sunday afternoon we met with President Boyd. I thought it a little strange that it was so early because he had previously told us that Josh wouldn't be released until the end of summer. We had found out the second counselor in our stake presidency was moving but Josh was confident it was just his release interview; I wasn't so sure. I think at that point Josh's humility was causing him to be in denial. We had a great visit with President Boyd; I really like him and appreciate his leadership. He asked us all about the blessings we've received from Josh's service as bishop and he asked us to share our testimonies of Jesus Christ and it was all great and I was feeling all relaxed. Then he pulled out his computer and said, now it is time for part 2 of this interview and then he extended the call to Josh to be second counselor in the stake presidency. We both humbly accepted, although President Boyd asked us if we had any questions so I did ask a few and he very kindly answered them. One was I asked him to share how they came to this decision and as he told me, I felt the spirit whisper to me too that Josh was who the Lord wanted to serve right now and then I felt peaceful and good about it all. He asked us not to tell anyone and wasn't even sure which week Josh would be sustained and set apart so Josh worried about it all week and I just kept reassuring him that he was good enough and the Lord would help him. 

Monday I took the kids to Newtowne Neck with Michelle and Sarah came for awhile too. It was full of jellyfish so not quite the magical day we had planned but thank goodness for kayaks and adventurous kids who explored and paddled and made the most of the day. It was fun to chat and be outside and it felt like summer. We got home around 6pm and I love those days where the kids go from pjs to swimsuits and right back to pjs. 

 

July 4th started off with a pancake breakfast at church that was fun. Then we went to the pool for a few hours and then we got our sandwiches and packed our picnic and went to Solomon's Island for the fireworks. It is such a beautiful little spot and I love just eating and chilling with friends and then when it gets dark playing with glow sticks and sparklers and seeing fireflies and then of course, the fireworks! It was a good show this year and I don't know why they mesmerize me so much but I really just love fireworks. We got out as soon as they were done and even though the traffic was not being directed well, we made it home in 40 minutes and got the kids in bed by 10:30. I love July 4th--no presents, no traditional food I have to make every time, no anything but summer fun; plus fireworks. I also love my country and wearing red, white and blue and stars. 

 


 

 

Wednesday Michelle was a saint and drove the kids to the temple for the day. It was a special stake youth temple day and Lily and Curtis both said it was a bit long but they loved being in the temple and some of the other stations were really good, some just okay. I went and picked up Delaney so she wouldn't be home alone all day and we went to the library where they explored the maker space and used 3D pens for awhile. Then they played here and then we went to the pool for a few hours. It was a fun day!

 

Thursday we chilled at home and cleaned and I went grocery shopping and we acted all responsible and then the kids watched TV for awhile. Lily had friends over for a movie night so the rest of us played games. 

Friday was an amazing day. I had told my kids this was the summer of American history and there were three places I really wanted to take them. Number one on the list was Mount Vernon and Josh was off Friday so we went and took the Rays with us. It was so fun! Hot, but fun. We toured all the grounds and learned about GW's farming and fancy barn and saw his tomb and did just about everything outside, then we took the mansion tour, which was awesome. Then Curtis fell and scraped his knee during a picture incident so we went to go get a band aid and kind of missed the flower gardens and some of the other buildings but it got us to the educational center right when it started raining. We spent awhile in there and loved the interactive displays and movies and the hands-on kid area and by the time we came out, the rain was done. It was amazing! Both Lily and Josh (my non-history people) really enjoyed the day and I loved it. I think being with friends helped but it is also just a cool place and I'm glad we went back. I think the last time I was there was at least 9 years ago so it was fun to explore again. 


 


   

 


 

 


 

We went to District Taco for dinner and then we changed there and headed to the Kennedy Center to see The Lion King. I bought the tickets months ago when we were deep into Emma's show of Lion King Jr. and then just told the kids the night before that we were going. We had amazing seats right on the aisle so the elephant, hyenas, Mufasa and the bird people all came down the aisle right next to us and it was amazing. All of the kids loved it but Emma especially. It was a super wonderful family adventure and everything worked out so well; it was a special day and made me really happy. We were exhausted yesterday after our busy day and late night so it was a pretty relaxed day. I cut the grass, Josh and Curtis fixed some things around the house, we cleaned and grilled out for dinner. Josh and I took the younger two to see Elemental and it was cute.

 


 


 

We found out yesterday that Josh was going to get set apart in church today. Both President Boyd and President Bracey came. It was a good meeting and then afterwards Josh got set apart. It was a beautiful and powerful blessing and I'm grateful for such wonderful leaders. I think most people were expecting Josh to get released but the new bishop hasn't been called yet and so Josh won't be released for a few more weeks. It is going to be interesting for the next while but hopefully things will get worked out soon. I have spent the rest of the day planning music and talking to my parents and planning the week and just thinking about life and stuff. I appreciate how Sundays are a day of rest and service and I don't feel obligated to do any house work and can just focus on my spirituality and my family and helping others. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh what fun!

Party Time!

Hello October