Week 16


Can it really be week 16 of all this craziness? Well, it has been a pretty good week. Monday we went to Gilbert Run park and it was so pretty. There is a little lake there and it is wooded and has two playgrounds. The kids loved the zip line, I loved being by water and trees and we had fun hanging with the Rays. It was hot so they didn't last as long as normal but we were there for about four hours before we came home. I took Emma and Brandon to the pool while Lily and Curtis rested and got rid of their headaches.

Tuesday we cleaned, did laudry and I taught my last three piano lessons for awhile. I decided to take July off so that will be a nice break for everyone. We went to the pool for an hour and it was fun for them to swim while I actually sat and read. Curtis had a primary activity while I sat outside with Lily who was mowing the lawn for the first time on her own. She only needed help twice and I was so proud of her as I watched her tackle a difficult job with resilence.

Wednesday we ran a bunch of errands. We went to Kohls to make a return and get Lily some new pjs and it was so fun to wander around. Really no one was there so we stayed until we were tired of wearing our masks. Then we went to Target and I had a long list of things we needed there. The boys spent the entire time looking at Legos. Then we picked up our groceries from Giant and came home. Once they were put away I took the kids to the pool again. We have been loving going from 4-5 or so every night so no sun screen, it isn't crowded and it is always nice and hot so the water feels good.

Thursday we cleaned and got our stuff done in the morning then we spent all afternoon at the pool. It was fun and the first time I actually got in to swim. We saw some friends there and it was good to chat a bit and then when we got home we grilled and ate outside. I really love summer. I love going from pajamas to a swim suit and then right back into pajamas. I love being outside so much and eating watermelon and corn on the cob and lots of ice cream.











Friday Josh was off and it turned into a chill day. If I don't plan something, then we don't end up doing something so everyone just kind of did their own thing all day. That evening we did go over to the Wiests for a cookout. It was so wonderful to see them since the last time was Memorial day. We had a great dinner outside then tromped through their woods to the back of their property where we had a fire and made smores. Curtis absolutely loved it and really needs to go camping. He was just born into the wrong family. I suppose we'll have to take him sometime. He was having such a good time building the fire and putting stuff into it--such a boy.



Saturday we got up early and went to the beach. It was already filled to capacity by 9:15 when we got there but the guy directed us to another cove we could go to, it just meant a half mile walk. It was shady and everyone helped carry gear so it wasn't bad. There were plenty of jellyfish though and so that put a bit of a damper on things but everyone but Emma still was in the water plenty and they all survived the small stings they got. It was fun to just sit and chat with the Ainas and the kids all played pretty well. About 3pm this crazy huge wave washed out all of our stuff and almost carried away a bunch of goggles and flip flops so that freaked the little kids out and we packed up and left. We went home to get cleaned up and get our food and then went over to their house for dinner. The kids swam in their pool and we just talked. It almost felt like when we went to NC together, just not quite as awesome. I was super disappointed about no fireworks because I love them so much but when we got home, a bunch of our neighbors were setting them off. Josh took the kids in to put them to bed because they were so tired and I sat outside and watched them alone. It was pretty impressive between the five families that had gotten stuff. They just took turns lighting theirs and it lasted for about 40 minutes. Not a typical July 4th but still a fun day and I'm grateful we got to do something. Josh and I watched the D.C. and the NYC fireworks shows on TV and it was lame. The joy of fireworks is being there and feeling the booms and seeing the lights and it just doesn't translate on television.



















Sunday was a nice day with home church and resting (we were all pretty tired and Josh took his first Sunday afternoon nap in more than 2 years). He did go visit a few people and have meetings and got home late for dinner but he was pretty happy about his nap. We had a marriage fireside that was fine but what was most impressive was how Lily and Curtis took care of Emma and Brandon. They planned a fun activity based on each of the four areas of the children and youth program (social, intellectual, spiritual and physical). It was so creative and they all had so much fun together that they didn't interrupt us the entire hour and 45 minutes we were busy. I really love how both of my older kids love to take care of younger kids. After the kids were in bed we watched Hamilton and we both really enjoyed it. Josh said it is his favorite musical of all time. He doesn't really like any musicals so I think this one stands out for being so different and modern. I liked it a lot, especially the scene where the older sister sings her song that is kind of in rewind explaining her feelings for Hamilton, and the king's songs were amazing. I thought Thomas Jefferson was hilarious too and liked the cabinet meetings. We stayed up way too late to finish it and both of us were pretty tired today.

Comments

  1. Yay lily for mowing!! And yes, I love Hamilton! And the king is my fave. 😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

and the beat goes on

Life

Back to school