Ward Family

So, I wrote this story out a week ago and went to go post it, had some internet issues and suddenly it was gone. I was very sad and have had a hard time writing it again because once I write something, the story is out of my head and it is hard to recreate. But here is my attempt, although it is not as good as the original.

Three weeks ago in church we had a strange and unique experience. It was fast and testimony meeting, which means the meeting is open to any member of the congregation who would like to get up and share a short and heartfelt testimony of Jesus Christ and his gospel. Sometimes people get up and ramble on about trips or life experiences and what they've shared doesn't much resemble a testimony, but that doesn't really happen in our ward. Our ward is amazing and I love them so much and always feel strengthened after a testimony meeting.

So it was quiet for just a moment before people started going up to share and all of a sudden this woman in the back loudly says, "No need to waste the time, brothers and sisters," as she saunters up to the front of the chapel. She gets up and says that she is a long time member and has something to say that might be a bit shocking. Then she says, "I think your bishopric is corrupt. They have corrupted the sacrament." She goes on to explain that she felt it was corrupt to have cups of gluten-free bread on the sacrament tray and she starts rambling on about John the Baptist and getting a gluten-free recipe for bread that everyone should eat. The good spirit in our meeting immediately left and I was sitting there confused and shocked. I was also worried about Josh because he was in charge of the meeting and it would be his responsibility to handle the situation.

He did rather quickly get up and say something to her that none of us could hear, then he sat back down. The tone of what she was saying changed and she started to wrap up "sharing her concerns" and then she said, "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." Now normally the congregation says amen in response but after she was done not one person in the congregation said anything. It was silent and that was probably my favorite moment of the meeting. I felt such love and solidarity with my ward family and not one person was going to agree to her outrageous and ridiculous accusations regarding my husband two of our dearest friends.

Thankfully, then my good friend, Tracie, got up to share her testimony and feelings about being called as the  new young women's president. In a very dramatic fashion, I felt the Spirit rushing back into the room, immediately restored by her faith and testimony. I hadn't felt something so dramatic in awhile but it was immediate; from good feelings to confusion and weirdness as the Spirit left and then right back to goodness as it came back. The rest of the meeting was absolutely wonderful and I especially appreciated one brother who works with the bishopric who got up and testified of how diligently they work to help our ward in the Lord's way and how he knows they were called by God to do this work. I seriously felt such love and appreciation, not just for my husband or the office he holds but also for our church's divinely appointed organization and especially for the people I am privileged to gather with each Sunday to worship.

At first I was kind of upset with this lady but later that turned to sadness because she obviously has issues and is on the road to apostasy, which is not going to bring her happiness. I later learned that she had been at church early and had already verbally attacked the young men setting up the sacrament and she had spoken to my husband and the first counselor in the bishopric sharing her concerns. They were all nice to her but firm and because Josh already knew what her issue was, he was quick to stand up during the meeting. He told her, "Let's talk about this later," and I was glad she decided to wrap up. If she hadn't the next step would have been to turn of the microphone and then to dismiss the meeting. No one in the bishopric was bothered by what she said (they have weaknesses of course but they're not corrupt) and Josh was feeling pretty quick to dismiss it, but another church leader reminded him that it isn't personal but their job is to protect the church and the leadership.

Definitely a strange experience but I'm actually grateful it happened because of how unified it made me feel with my ward family. A few people even texted afterwards to see if I was okay, which was very thoughtful. It wasn't a personal attack so it didn't really bother me, and it was someone we didn't know and who has no idea what she is talking about so it is easy to dismiss, but I appreciated the thoughtfulness anyway. Some texted Josh too and said they have his back and support him and that was really sweet too. Later the first counselor searched the church's handbook and found that they are totally in compliance with how the sacrament should be administered so all is well.

I know that God lives and that Jesus Christ is His Son, our Redeemer and Savior. I know that Jesus Christ leads The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through revelation to His prophet and leaders. It is organized according to His will and as we serve in our church responsibilities, we are furthering His work here on the earth. I'm glad to be a part of it and appreciate the wonderful ward family sitting by my side each week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh what fun!

Party Time!

Hello October