Disappointment
I learned two very important lessons yesterday. First, I am not a performer. Second, practice does not make perfect, unless you can practice in the very environment in which you need to perform.
I was having a fantastic day yesterday. We had some wonderful and seriously quality family time, I found a $20 bill hiding in a Christmas mug, and there was the most perfect and magical Christmas snow falling.
I was even excited to be participating in my church's community Christmas concert. I have a friend who is an amazing singer and she asked me last year for this same annual concert to accompany her while she sang O Holy Night. I got the music and it has six flats (this means it is challenging) but I spent hours practicing it last year and performed it well enough. I made a few mistakes but felt it didn't distract too much from her performance. When she asked me again this year I was excited because I already knew the piece and therefore could focus on nailing it. I started practicing in early November and in the last six weeks I've played it every chance I got. I was so sure that this year I was going to sit down and know it so well that I would do the song justice and not disappoint my friend.
I was warmed up and excited and then I sat down to play. I messed up in the first measure. I thought it was just my nerves and that it would be okay but while I never messed up badly enough to interfere with the singing, I definitely made enough mistakes that it was noticeable and embarrassing. There were so many fine performers there and people used to a high quality of music and performance and I left there feeling so disappointed with myself that I didn't keep up with them. I really felt I had done all I could to be ready and that was what was so disappointing. Unless I had practiced more in front of other people, I don't know how I could have done any better and that just made me feel so badly about myself. I like doing things well and while I am not the most amazing pianist (I often make mistakes when I play in front of other people and am a terrible sight reader) I had worked hard and felt my performance didn't match the effort I put into being prepared for it.
I tried all day not to let it bother me but I'll admit I've been a grump today still just feeling disappointed and like I'm not good enough to contribute when there are others that do it better. I don't like feeling mediocre. I know that I have a lot of weaknesses but when I put my all into something, it usually turns out better. Perhaps this is all childish and slightly dramatic but these feelings are real and I hope I am not alone in feeling them. I suppose the life lesson is learning how to deal with these kind of situations so now that I've told you how I feel it is time to get over it and move on. I'm playing again on Christmas Eve so I had better get practicing.
I was having a fantastic day yesterday. We had some wonderful and seriously quality family time, I found a $20 bill hiding in a Christmas mug, and there was the most perfect and magical Christmas snow falling.
I was even excited to be participating in my church's community Christmas concert. I have a friend who is an amazing singer and she asked me last year for this same annual concert to accompany her while she sang O Holy Night. I got the music and it has six flats (this means it is challenging) but I spent hours practicing it last year and performed it well enough. I made a few mistakes but felt it didn't distract too much from her performance. When she asked me again this year I was excited because I already knew the piece and therefore could focus on nailing it. I started practicing in early November and in the last six weeks I've played it every chance I got. I was so sure that this year I was going to sit down and know it so well that I would do the song justice and not disappoint my friend.
I was warmed up and excited and then I sat down to play. I messed up in the first measure. I thought it was just my nerves and that it would be okay but while I never messed up badly enough to interfere with the singing, I definitely made enough mistakes that it was noticeable and embarrassing. There were so many fine performers there and people used to a high quality of music and performance and I left there feeling so disappointed with myself that I didn't keep up with them. I really felt I had done all I could to be ready and that was what was so disappointing. Unless I had practiced more in front of other people, I don't know how I could have done any better and that just made me feel so badly about myself. I like doing things well and while I am not the most amazing pianist (I often make mistakes when I play in front of other people and am a terrible sight reader) I had worked hard and felt my performance didn't match the effort I put into being prepared for it.
I tried all day not to let it bother me but I'll admit I've been a grump today still just feeling disappointed and like I'm not good enough to contribute when there are others that do it better. I don't like feeling mediocre. I know that I have a lot of weaknesses but when I put my all into something, it usually turns out better. Perhaps this is all childish and slightly dramatic but these feelings are real and I hope I am not alone in feeling them. I suppose the life lesson is learning how to deal with these kind of situations so now that I've told you how I feel it is time to get over it and move on. I'm playing again on Christmas Eve so I had better get practicing.
You did great though and I was impressed! I know that won't make it better, I totally struggle with messing up too. The spirit was still there and it was beautiful. :)
ReplyDeleteI totally understand what you are saying and you are right, these feelings are real. It is very frustrating when you work so hard and do all you can to prepare and then it doesn't turn out exactly as you anticipated. I also agree with Sarah. The spirit was so strong, the song was beautiful, the evening was wonderful, and for a few hours, everyone there put aside their differences and just enjoyed celebrating this beautiful Christmas season. It was amazing. I am so grateful for your friendship and I truly appreciate your talents. PS I can play chopsticks on the piano, but just the plain version, nothing fancy.
ReplyDelete