13 Years Ago
Thirteen years ago today I woke up so nervous and excited. Three of my favorite friends helped me with my makeup and hair and then my fiance came and picked me up and we all went to the Palmyra New York temple together. I went in and put on my wedding dress and walked into a room where my family and some of my closest friends were waiting. My fiance and I knelt down at an alter and made sacred promises to each other and to God and we were sealed together as a family unit for time and all eternity. Mirrors behind each of us reflected our images countless times, symbolizing the eternal nature of our marriage and future family. It was the most beautiful moment of my life.
We walked out of the temple as husband and wife to greet more family and friends. All of my sisters wore purple dresses and there were yellow flowers on all of the tables. I carried a bouquet of yellow roses. We took a bunch of pictures (once the photographer finally showed up) and then headed to a local church for a simple ring ceremony. In the temple exchanging rings is not part of the ceremony so we chose to wait and do it later in order to include family members who were not able to join us inside the temple. I was so happy to see everyone and loved the ring ceremony. My nephews sang a sweet song about the temple, the man who married us explained why we chose to be married inside the temple and the importance of families, my mother-in-law spoke on how families are like quilts and said she was thrilled i was part of the family, my sisters sang a beautiful song that made me cry and my father and father-in-law said beautiful prayers. The worst part was when I was supposed to say something to Josh. I had thought I would be speaking to everyone about Josh but then he looked at me and said that I was supposed to be talking to him. That completely messed me up and I have no idea what I said but I know it was trite and all over the place. He told me heaven wouldn't be heavenly without me.
Then we went to a restaurant and we welcomed everyone as they came in. We had a big luncheon and my brother-in-law sang "When I Fall in Love" and "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons". Then we cut a beautiful cake my older sister had made but served what I had really wanted, which was Oreo ice cream cake. It was delicious! We talked with everyone who was there and by 4pm we were the last people in the restaurant. We went ahead and changed and said goodbye to our families then drove off to a cabin near Canandaigua Lake, where we stayed for three days.
It was a perfect day. Not that everything went perfectly but it didn't matter. We were married and wouldn't ever have to live apart from each other again. After dating long distance for two years, some of that while I was in London on study abroad, then serving missions across the world from each other and only writing letters for 2 1/2 years, I was ready to have my life connected to this man I loved and not ever have to say goodnight and leave each other again.
It has been a productive 13 years. We've both graduated from college, he has earned a master's degree, we've lived in Utah, California, Ohio and Maryland and we've had four children. We've owned two homes and he's had three jobs. We've survived infertility, writing a thesis and putting up ceiling fans. We've traveled to Hong Kong, Ukraine and Bermuda. We've ridden roller coasters, played on beaches and eaten lots of good food. We've helped friends and served in church responsibilities, always helping and supporting the other. He's perfected his French toast and pizza while I've learned to can peaches. We are tackling the challenge of parenthood together and balance each other well.
Nothing is more wonderful than snuggling up with my man and knowing that he will always love and take care of me and that he trusts me to do the same for him. That we are in this together and that we're going to help each other succeed in our common goal to be an eternal family and live with God again someday. He is my perfect partner; he listens, he is generous and kind, he is patient and slow to anger, he is forgiving, he is fun and loves to do the same things I do, he loves to be with me as much as I love to be with him, he thinks I'm funny and appreciates good food the way I do, he is loyal and a mature man who puts God and family first in his life, he is honest and most of all, he is someone I can respect, trust and honor and to whom I could commit my entire life's happiness.
I wish I could go back 13 years ago and live that wonderful day all over again and tell 22-year-old Alecia that it is going to be just as wonderful as you imagined and hoped it would be and the best part is, there is still more to come.
We walked out of the temple as husband and wife to greet more family and friends. All of my sisters wore purple dresses and there were yellow flowers on all of the tables. I carried a bouquet of yellow roses. We took a bunch of pictures (once the photographer finally showed up) and then headed to a local church for a simple ring ceremony. In the temple exchanging rings is not part of the ceremony so we chose to wait and do it later in order to include family members who were not able to join us inside the temple. I was so happy to see everyone and loved the ring ceremony. My nephews sang a sweet song about the temple, the man who married us explained why we chose to be married inside the temple and the importance of families, my mother-in-law spoke on how families are like quilts and said she was thrilled i was part of the family, my sisters sang a beautiful song that made me cry and my father and father-in-law said beautiful prayers. The worst part was when I was supposed to say something to Josh. I had thought I would be speaking to everyone about Josh but then he looked at me and said that I was supposed to be talking to him. That completely messed me up and I have no idea what I said but I know it was trite and all over the place. He told me heaven wouldn't be heavenly without me.
Then we went to a restaurant and we welcomed everyone as they came in. We had a big luncheon and my brother-in-law sang "When I Fall in Love" and "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons". Then we cut a beautiful cake my older sister had made but served what I had really wanted, which was Oreo ice cream cake. It was delicious! We talked with everyone who was there and by 4pm we were the last people in the restaurant. We went ahead and changed and said goodbye to our families then drove off to a cabin near Canandaigua Lake, where we stayed for three days.
It was a perfect day. Not that everything went perfectly but it didn't matter. We were married and wouldn't ever have to live apart from each other again. After dating long distance for two years, some of that while I was in London on study abroad, then serving missions across the world from each other and only writing letters for 2 1/2 years, I was ready to have my life connected to this man I loved and not ever have to say goodnight and leave each other again.
It has been a productive 13 years. We've both graduated from college, he has earned a master's degree, we've lived in Utah, California, Ohio and Maryland and we've had four children. We've owned two homes and he's had three jobs. We've survived infertility, writing a thesis and putting up ceiling fans. We've traveled to Hong Kong, Ukraine and Bermuda. We've ridden roller coasters, played on beaches and eaten lots of good food. We've helped friends and served in church responsibilities, always helping and supporting the other. He's perfected his French toast and pizza while I've learned to can peaches. We are tackling the challenge of parenthood together and balance each other well.
Nothing is more wonderful than snuggling up with my man and knowing that he will always love and take care of me and that he trusts me to do the same for him. That we are in this together and that we're going to help each other succeed in our common goal to be an eternal family and live with God again someday. He is my perfect partner; he listens, he is generous and kind, he is patient and slow to anger, he is forgiving, he is fun and loves to do the same things I do, he loves to be with me as much as I love to be with him, he thinks I'm funny and appreciates good food the way I do, he is loyal and a mature man who puts God and family first in his life, he is honest and most of all, he is someone I can respect, trust and honor and to whom I could commit my entire life's happiness.
I wish I could go back 13 years ago and live that wonderful day all over again and tell 22-year-old Alecia that it is going to be just as wonderful as you imagined and hoped it would be and the best part is, there is still more to come.

Congratulations on thirteen years together! Continue to enjoy the years together. So many wonderful memories are just waiting to be made.
ReplyDelete