Fun to read again....and again....and again!

I love to read and for the last five years, I’ve enjoyed reading to my children.  The most special time I had with my dad was when he would read to me and now I find that snuggling up with my kids, having them quiet and listening, having a shared experience while reading a good book is my most special time with them.

As with adult literature, I’ve come to learn that there are definitely books for children that are poorly written, have bad illustrations, have unlikable characters or just a terrible story, all of which detracts from our special time together.  When we go to the library I skim through every book my kids pick out before I agree to bring it home and even then, if once we’ve read it I don’t like it, I hide it back in the library bag. Perhaps you think I’m too controlling, or perhaps you also have children and know that they often pick out the same story over and over again and with a bad story, once is more than enough.  

I am always on the lookout for quality books to read to my kids and maybe you are too.  At book club last night we started discussing our favorite children’s books and below is a list of some of mine.  My kids are still reading picture books so all of these are appropriate for ages 2-5.




The Princess and the Pig by Jonathan Emmett

As it happens a pig and a princess end up switching places and both families are convinced that it is the work of a fairy, just like in all the stories.  In the end though, the poor farmer family gets to raise a beautiful daughter and they love her and she is happy marrying a shepherd and not being a princess.  While I love a good princess story, I also appreciate that this one teaches that love and family are what is most important, not necessarily living a fairy tale.



The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt

This is a series of letters from different colored crayons to their owner, Duncan, with their concerns and complaints.  Red crayon is tired, pink crayon feels under appreciated, yellow and orange crayon both think they’re the true color of the sun and purple crayon would appreciate if Duncan would draw in the lines. It is cute and clever and you'll look differently at a box of crayons.


Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. Suess

This is one my dad used to read to me and I love it for its rhythmic exploration of sounds.  Plus it is so fun when my kids try to imitate all of the sounds Mr. Brown can make.

The Snail and the Whale by Julia Donaldson

This was recommended to me by a dear friend who knows that I, too, have an itchy foot like the snail in this story.  The snail hops onto the tail of a humpback whale to explore the world and even though he is so small, he makes a big difference in the life of his friend.  I tend to love books that have good rhyme and this is one of them.

Bear Feels Sick by Karma Wilson


I enjoy all of her books (Bear Snores On, Bear’s New Friend, Bear’s Loose Tooth) but this one is my favorite.  The animals show great compassion to their sick friend Bear and I love what it teaches my kids about helping others and being a good friend.  Plus the illustrations are warm and it rhymes.  

Rocket Learns to Read by Tad Hills

Rocket is a cute dog who runs into a bird that wants to teach him how to read.  It is fun to learn along with Rocket about the alphabet and words.  He is such a likable character who is innocent and so child-like.  I also like books that make something important to me (like reading) the focus of the story thereby showing my kids that it should be important to them.

Cloudette by Tom Lichtenheld

This book is about a little cloud who often wishes she could do something big and important but feels limited by her small size.  She does learn that small things can make a big difference and I can’t help but finish this story feeling like I could do just about anything!  I love the illustrations and there are some fun and humorous side notes throughout the story that my kids often quote and we all crack up.




Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen Cronin

I don’t think it gets much better than farm humor.  I suppose it is obvious that I tend towards animal stories and this one is so clever and funny.  Farmer Brown has cows that type and they have demands that he is finally convinced to meet in order to get rid of their typewriter.  The kids can get in on the fun because of the repetition but adults don’t get bored because of the wit.  

The Mitten by Jan Berret

Part of the reason I love this one is because of the illustrations and how they remind me of my time living in Keiv, Ukraine.  I also love the idea of animals stuffing themselves into a mitten.  It is a classic tale that just makes me happy.


Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner

I really enjoy books and movies that answer typical kid questions in such a creative way and that’s what this book does.  A boy builds a snowman but the next day it is saggy and lopsided and so he wonders how it got to look that way.  He imagines that his snowman was playing baseball and sledding and having all sorts of fun during the night.  It is fun to read and I appreciate its creativity and happy tone.

Comments

  1. I only recognized four of the books, but we really like them! All the more reason to look for the others. I wish we had a better library here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh what fun!

Party Time!

Hello October