The week of Lily

What a week! Monday was Lily's 18th birthday. She had plans with friends that fell through so we started the day by taking Curtis to do his last driving lesson and while he was doing that we went to Newtowne Neck for an hour or so and it was beautiful. We walked around and sat on the beach for a bit and it would have been great if we had planned to hang out for a few hours and have our friends join us like the old days. But instead we picked Curtis up and stopped by the library and came home to make Lily's birthday cheesecake. She went and hung out with a friend for a few hours and Curtis went to cross country and then Josh (after taking his co-worker to the airport) made Lily pizza for her birthday dinner.

 


My emotions have been all over the place this week. I feel so happy and excited for Lily and then I get really sad that she is going to be gone and then I get stressed about how this week is all going to work out with everyone starting school and being gone and then I get anxious about the money and then I have moments where I am so proud of her and then I get sad again. Her birthday was kind of like that. I was so happy to be celebrating my girl and then I would get so sad that she was an adult and leaving and then I got stressed about making sure she had a fun day. 

After a very late dinner (my fault; I forgot to take the dough balls out of the fridge before I left to take Curtis to cross country) then Lily opened her presents. She got some baking sheets, measuring cups, a nice umbrella for rainy walks across campus, a cool laundry bag and sticky tack for her walls. Emma also got her a silly goose sweatshirt and we also got her a pair of sneakers she really wanted. Josh's parents got her some earrings and my parents sent money. Once she had opened all of that up, we sang to her and had her peanut butter chocolate cheesecake, which I have to say is delicious. I haven't been making cheesecake as much since Josh stopped eating it but it was so good and Lily was so happy and that was a wrap on the world's newest young adult.

 


 


 


Tuesday was nuts. I taught a piano lesson, had a meet and greet with a potential new student (spoiler alert she picked a different teacher), took Curtis for his driving test (he passed!!) then we went to Social for a chocolate croissant to celebrate, then I came home and the electrician came to fix the power to the girls' rooms (such a blessing that he was able to come and get it fixed quickly) and then I ran Lily to a dentist appointment (where she had to fill out her own paperwork--welcome to adulthood!) and then Emma had a dance audition and I took Curtis to cross country and Brandon was supposed to have baseball but it got cancelled because of rain. Then I went to book club where I led the discussion but I felt so scattered. I feel a bit like a computer that needs to shut down to clear my mind but I haven't had a chance. It was a good book so we still managed to have a thoughtful discussion even though I was all over the place and then I brought ice cream. I probably shouldn't have volunteered for this month but it went well enough. I got home about 11pm and crashed.


Wednesday I went to the gym and grocery shopped and I've been trying to figure out my piano schedule and I took Curtis to cross country and then went and got Emma and Brandon and we had dinner and then I dropped them off at church and then went to get Curtis and take him home and then back to church to pick up Emma and Brandon. Brandon had fun washing cars as a service project and Emma learned how to make naan bread. Josh has been super busy too with work stuff and helping people and his church calling and that night he had a meeting with his PhD advisor too so it feels like summer is over and we are back to busy. Sigh. Good busy but still, I don't love being so busy. 

Thursday we had thankfully already made plans for one last summer adventure. Emma, Brandon and I drove up to Branch Ave and then we rode the metro into D.C. We met up with Leisa and her crew and went to the Library of Congress. Emma was disappointed it was more like a museum than a library but I really enjoyed it. There was a very moving display on Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness and I honestly felt so emotional about how blessed we are to live in this country. I am personally pretty disappointed in our government right now but that doesn't change the fact that it is still the most stable and best government in the world; a government for the people by the people. It is such a unique concept to be a citizen instead of a subject and I'm just so grateful. We also saw one of four Guttenberg Bibles that were printed on vellum instead of paper. I've seen another of the four in the British Library so I'm now at 2/4 in the whole world! The lady there told us all about it and the quality of the ink makes it so readable (especially compared to the Declaration, which is so faded) and it was really cool. We saw the main reading room and the first map that has America on it. 


 


 

 


 


 

Then we walked from there the mile south to the National Archives. There is a some big Indy car race happening there today so there were fences ALL over the place and it made it hard to walk around. We went many blocks out of the way to get where we were going and at times it was pretty frustrating. The National Guard guys were nice but we met some grumpy policemen and people who work in D.C.; it was a bit of a mess but we made it to the archives and saw the Declaration, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Unfortunately you really can't read most of it because it is so faded but still cool to see. We played around in the discovery center for a bit and then went to an exhibit called the American Story that showcased things that are in the archives, including photos and documents and movies. We watched some old government PSAs for awhile and that was fun. By this time it was almost 5pm so we decided to call it a day. I really felt the spirit throughout the day and felt a renewed sense of gratitude for our country and the freedoms we enjoy because of these profound documents. I know God had a hand in all of it and I feel so blessed to be an American. Also the book we read for book club took place in Iran and so we had just discussed a few nights before about the lack of rights and the suspicion and the oppression that other people in the world experience so it was doubly impressed on my mind how fortunate we are here.


 


Leisa decided to ride the metro with us one stop because it would have taken them at least 40 minutes to walk all the way around to where she had parked so that was fun and then we just kept going and rode to the end where we hopped in our car and drove home. Brandon doesn't ever remember riding the metro before so that was a big part of the adventure for him; I was also very glad not to have to drive in traffic home. We made it home and started making dinner (Lily was gone, Curtis was at a XC parent meeting with Josh so it was just us) and then we got a tornado warning. The kids kind of freaked out so we took our pasta salad and went to the basement and watched TV and all was well. 

Friday was a bit of a catch up day--there is just so much to take care of right now. The girls had planned to hang out so they went shopping and took a walk and watched a movie. Curtis drove himself to practice (we finally got him on the insurance) and then we had a nice dinner. I've been making all of Lily's favorites this week. We played a game and then Lily, Josh and I watched some Seinfeld. It has been fun to just show her the best episodes. 

Yesterday was a big day. Curtis took the SATs and Emma and Brandon went with the Wiests to the zoo to celebrate Petra's birthday. Then Josh, Lily and I drove up to the temple for Lily to be endowed. It was super special and beautiful. We first got her all the clothing she needed and then we went and met with the matron and then she did initiatory and then we did the endowment together. Sarah Cox came and the Ainas, Matt Ray, Noreen and then Lori Davis, and the Wiests. It was really special to be in the celestial room with two of her young women's presidents, one of her seminary teachers, her bishop and then friends who just love her (and us). I know Jesus Christ organized his church in such a way that we take care of each other and I felt so blessed to have these good people there who have loved and supported Lily pretty much her whole life. My heart was very full and it was a beautiful day. 


 



 

Then we went with the Wiests to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory for a double celebration of Lily and Petra. They were so nice and accommodating to our group of 14 (Dorns came too; they went to the zoo with the Wiests and then met us there) and it was a fun evening. Both Lily and Petra were so happy and it was fun to be with friends. I was only missing Curtis; he stayed home to get work done after he finished the SATs and prepare his lesson and spend time with his friend. 




It was so beautiful to be in the temple with Lily. I'm so happy she had a desire to make that covenant with her Heavenly Father and she handled everything gracefully, as she almost always does. I love the temple and all that we learn there and how I feel there and especially how close to Heavenly Father I feel there. It was so beautiful to be there with close friends and Josh and Lily. She is such a wonderful girl; I actually can't talk about her right now without getting emotional so I won't go on and on here but I'm so grateful to be her mom. She is pretty amazing and I love her so much. 

This week is going to be a real dozy and I honestly just hope and pray we all make it through. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh what fun!

Party Time!

Hello October