2023
2023 was a good year with some challenges; I suppose that is normal. It was a year of a lot of traveling for Josh especially, but for all of us. Josh was actually gone for work 11 weeks of the year starting with two weeks in January, then three is May, two in June, two more in October, one in November and one in December. It was a lot for both of us and I'm glad that this year is looking much more calm. We also went to Miami and the Florida Keys for the most amazing 20th anniversary trip. It was so fun to explore a new place and be alone and just be us for a week. I loved every second of it, especially our dinner on Little Palm Island and the sea plane ride to Dry Tortugas National Park. Also my pina colada in Little Havannah.
Then we went to Florida as a family for spring break and had a great time at the beach and also at Universal for the day to see all of the Harry Potter stuff. It was so much fun to share that with friends too. We also did our Darrow family trip to Tennessee and while it was tough that the house didn't have water for a few days and that Josh's family chose to do so little with us, we had a great time. My kids loved Dollywood and our hike in the Smokies and the alpine coaster. My beach need was not satisfied though so I booked us a long weekend in NC and that was perfect. Three glorious days at the beach with the people I love most; it was such a gift to be able to make that happen. We also had a super fun day at Mt. Vernon and then seeing Lion King in D.C. I love having those special moments with my family that we'll always remember.
I also went to Utah for a few days to be with my sister and then Rochester to celebrate my mom's 80th birthday and have our sisters weekend. I also had a NYC birthday trip that was so fun. Lily went to Disney World with the music program in January too so we were a family on the move in 2023.
My boys played a lot of baseball and my girls danced a lot. I did a lot of driving around our county. Brandon got baptized and we had good visits with my parents in January, June, Thanksgiving and then Christmas. I am so blessed that they love us and are healthy and for the time we were able to spend together. Lily and Curtis enjoyed their church summer camps and Josh got released as the bishop of our ward. He also got called into the stake presidency and those three weeks of overlap were very difficult but we made it through. I went to the temple a lot with Michelle and sometimes with Josh and it was always beautiful and wonderful.
The toughest part of the year was when my brother-in-law died suddenly at the end of March and now I have two sisters who are widows. But we were thrilled when Bradley still decided to go on a mission, even though he was grieving and it was tough to leave, because he knew it was right and would bring him immeasurable blessings. He is doing so well and that is a great gift for 2023. As is Carter going on a mission, Morgan coming home and Ella getting married. My extended family has had some serious challenges but everyone seems to be working through them.
This year I've dealt with a lot of self-doubt and insecurity as well as fatigue and stress. It is a lot to manage our family when Josh is gone (or sick like he has been for two months) and when he's so busy with church and work, I am pretty much on my own to make it all happen. That can be lonely and overwhelming but I always felt strengthened when I asked Heavenly Father to be able to make it through the day and people almost always helped when I asked and here I am, grateful to be on the other side.
I am going to work on being okay with myself this year because that was a challenge for 2023. It is hard for me when people have made the choice to not be my friend not to doubt myself and wonder why anyone would want to be my friend when I am judgmental and intimidating and say dumb things, etc. I need to not worry so much about other people and their choices and just recognize that if they don't like me, that's okay. I'm not good at that but I'm going to work on it.
I read 50 books in 2023, which took effort. I think I normally read around 40 so I really had to push myself and make sure I always had a stack of books on my nightstand and one in my bag so I could always read if I had time. I also took a few days to just read and that was nice too. We didn't see a lot of movies (although I did love Mission Impossible and Wonka) but I love Love at First Sight on Netflix. It is the sweetest story and it makes me cry and gives me hope and makes me want to go back to London so badly. I think I've watched it four times in the past few months. We ate a lot of good food this year. A lot of seafood in Florida and NC and a few trips to Cafe Rio as well as butter beer in Universal and my pina colada in Miami and TCBY in Salt Lake and the BBQ in Dollywood and amazing bagels in NYC.
The best thing about the year is that Josh still loves and adores me and is by my side. I try to never take that for granted. I have four healthy, talented, hard-working, good-hearted children who love me and are doing well in school and spiritually. I have parents who love me and a strong testimony of who Jesus Christ is and what is role is in my life as a Savior and Redeemer. I feel grounded in truth and hopeful for the future.
I can't imagine anyone not wanting to be your friend, you are one of the best people I've ever known and an amazing friend in every way that matters! I am envious of all the travel you did in 2023, but not envious of the 11 weeks you were on your own. I hope your 2024 is full of more of the good and less of the hard :)
ReplyDelete