October Part 2





 It has been so busy the last few weeks and I was so excited for today to finally have a day home alone! Instead I have two sick kids and a husband who must be too because when I woke up he was back in bed after having gotten Curtis off to school. We haven't been sick in a long time so I can't complain but I am a bit disappointed that today is the day they are sick. 

Anyway, I haven't had any time to myself because two weeks ago my mother-in-law came for a visit and it was really nice to have her here. I picked her up Wednesday, we went for a nice walk after sitting in the car all morning and then she just joined in the crazy. Thursday we went over to Michelle's to help her get food ready for her meeting that night and then I showed my MIL the high school and we went to Kohls and then Curtis had a game that night and he played really well. Friday we did the Calvert Cliffs hike and it was so beautiful. I have never done it in the fall before but it was amazing with the fall colors and cooler temperatures. We saw one large bird, a crane maybe, no other animals, but it was a beautiful morning. The kids had an early dismissal so when they got home Nana took us all to Sweet Frog. 

 



Saturday we went to Brandon's game and then picked Lily up from her Nutcracker rehearsal and went to the pumpkin farm. It was busy but not too crowded and I scored us some doughnuts that were delicious. We did the hayride and the kids did the corn maze and we got our pumpkins. It was another lovely fall day.


 


 

 

Sunday was the primary program and the kids did so well and were so sweet and cute. It was the perfect Sunday for my wonderful, Catholic mother-in-law to come to church with us. She even came to Relief Society with me and made a comment! We were also able to introduce her to the Hendersons, who did a lot to help us when we first moved here. I really think she and Amy would be best buddies if my in-laws lived here so I'm glad they got to meet. Then she spent the afternoon teaching Lily how to decorate cupcakes with some fancy new frosting tips. Monday we went to Hobby Lobby and Michaels looking for glow sticks until we learned Lily didn't need them for the church activity anymore so then we went to Solomon's Island for lunch at a seafood restaurant. It was nice and I appreciate how kind she has always been to me. She really enjoyed her time with the kids and even though Josh was busy, he made the effort to stay home some mornings to get to talk with her and they went for some walks. I drove her back to the airport on Tuesday and got home in time for all my piano lessons. Curtis's practice got cancelled because of wet fields so I sent them all to get flu shots, except Emma who was at dance so she and I went later. Brandon apparently cried and Lily said she wanted to but she was brave. :) 

Wednesday I helped Michelle out at church with some food boxes for a little bit then went to the gym and the grocery store, which took forever. I barely got home, got the food put away and took a quick shower before I had to go pick up Curtis. I just feel like I've been running from one thing to the next for weeks. Then I got Lily to dance and made two pies for the fall festival, taught two lessons and then we got our costumes on and went to church. It was a nice activity and the kids had fun as always. We decided to all be careers this year so Brandon is an astronaut, Emma is Amelia Earhart (a pilot), Lily is Phoenix from Top Gun 2 (also a pilot) and Curtis is a lumberjack. Josh is of course his usual costume of a spy and I decided to be a referee. 

Thursday I spent the morning at school making copies for all the teachers and then it was just running around and getting everyone where they need to be, which included flu shots for me and Emma and then picking Lily up from dance and then Curtis playing for the Nats that night because they were short players. He played catcher and short stop and then in the last inning he was out in center field where he had the most amazing catch off a deep hit. He jumped up and caught it then fell to the ground and rolled a bit but held on to the ball. I wish I had it on video; it was awesome and ended the inning and the game. Josh had a meeting with President Boyd that night so I was there alone but he had a good meeting and was productive on his drive so it was all good. 

Friday Josh was off so we went for a nice long walk and he made me breakfast and we got to just talk and be together for the first time in two weeks. It was another early dismissal so we had some chill time with the kids too, which was nice. Josh did perform a marriage for someone and then he played baseball with the boys outside for awhile. Girls had dance and I went to BJs and then we watched some of  Swiss Family Robinson and some of the world series game. It was also book character day and Emma went as Hermione and Brandon as the cowardly lion from Wizard of Oz, which he had just finished reading. Emma had tried out for the school play Monday afternoon and we found out Friday night that she is in the ensemble. We were a bit disappointed because she really is so dramatic and I think a perfect fit for the stage but it is also her first time trying out so it will be a good and fun experience to be in a play and I'm proud of her for trying new things. She also got picked to be on student council so she is growing up and doing good things. 

Saturday Josh took Curtis to his double header up in La Plata while I took Brandon to his game (and their teams won all three games!). Then we hurried home to get Lily to her rehearsal and came home to finally get some cleaning done and some yard work taken care of. Then we went over to the Wiests to have a camp fire and roast hot dogs and make smores. It was really nice; we haven't hung out with them in months and haven't been invited over in years so we had a good time. Yesterday I was so nervous about church because I had a lot going on musically but I think it all worked out okay. I'm hoping I can pull the choir pieces I have planned for Christmas together but it is tough when so many people don't show up to practice. I have faith it will all be okay though and our Christmas day meeting will be lovely. We got home and I made dinner and Lily made cookies and after dinner (Sunday night stew, a family favorite Michelle introduced us to--thanks!)  then we carved pumpkins. Brandon and I are always a team and ours doesn't quite look like the picture but he was happy with the result. 


    

Today I supposed we'll chill and watch movies and I will do laundry and hopefully we'll get out for a bit of trick or treating tonight. I am ready to say goodbye to a busy October and move into a more relaxing November. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh what fun!

Party Time!

Hello October