The Fair, Top Dog and Conference


 It  has been a pretty great week. We've settled into our routines so it doesn't seem so overwhelming now. Josh gets up most days with the early kids but I get up with them sometimes when he has off or needs to be at work super early and it is working. We go to bed way earlier than we have ever before, which cramps our style, but we're dealing with it. 

Last weekend was the fair. I wasn't quite sure when we would go since I like it when Josh can come but it is so much cheaper to go on Friday so kind of last minute, that's what we decided to do. We went pretty early though since Lily had dance that afternoon so we went and got the rides out of the way and then saw the animals, the crafts and art and vegetables and the pig races. We hung out with the Rays/Ainas for a bit doing the rides and saw a few other people but we mostly just were on our own. We had planned to get doughnuts to take home but our doughnut place wasn't there and we were all sad so we got funnel cakes and fried oreos instead and then came home. Lily had 30 minutes to chill before I had to take her to dance. I was pretty wiped and didn't do much the rest of the day other than pick Lily up, have leftovers for dinner and then take Emma to and from dance while Josh took Curtis to his game. 

  

Saturday we went to Brandon's game and it was so fun. I love watching his team play because they are good and he keeps getting better and better. The coach's wife is so nice and we usually chat during the games. It was another beautiful fall day and I just love being outside and enjoying fall time. Then the Wiest kids came over for the day with Sam and Leisa went to a wedding. Lily was technically babysitting them so I let her be in charge and it was great. She made them lunch and took them to the park and involved them all in a Halloween show that she came up with and they had so much fun rehearsing. Josh made pizza and then we watched some Full House. 

Sunday was really nice. I love going to church, although primary was kind of nuts that day and I just feel really tired of being the primary pianist. I have been doing it pretty much for seven years, with only a small break, and I am just ready to move on to something else. Unfortunately no one else really plays the piano so I am kind of stuck, which I think is  part of my problem with the situation. I've had to play for every musical number  in sacrament meeting too and while I don't mind it and even most of the time enjoy it, I guess it just feels a bit much to be one of two adults who can play, like no one has my back. But, I am grateful for my ability to play and that I can step up and be of service to my ward family. That day was Noreen's birthday and I have been ministering to her for at least seven years so we are very close. We had her over for a birthday celebration and her daughter came too and it was fun. The kids made her such sweet cards and gifts and she loved her dinner and cake. It was a good day.

Monday I spent all morning prepping for a brunch I hosted the next day and teaching piano lessons. I haven't hosted in a long time and had really lost my desire to do so but I felt prompted to reach out to all the new sisters in our ward so Tuesday morning I hosted a brunch and I was thrilled when three of them came. We had a nice group, nothing too big or crazy but enough that it wasn't awkward, and I think it went well. The food wasn't amazing (I shouldn't have tried a new recipe) and nobody really ate much but I think everyone enjoyed talking and getting to know each other a bit better. It was a beautiful morning and it was lovely to be outside. Of course as soon as everyone left I started feeling like an idiot for the food not being great and for somethings that I said but I really try to fight those feelings now. They may not click with me or like me or have enjoyed my food but hopefully they feel welcome and a part of a loving ward family. 

Wednesday I worked out at the gym and went grocery shopping and then ran around all evening getting kids where they needed to be.  Thursday I cut the grass and then armed with some coupons, I decided to go clothes shopping, by myself and for myself. What???? That hasn't happened is so long. It was so much fun to just go to the store and try things on and only worry about what I needed for once. 

Friday Josh was off so I got the kids up and off and then we had a nice breakfast together and headed over to the school because Brandon had been picked for Top Dog. It is a monthly celebration to honor one kid from each class for their good behavior. They used to have everyone all come in the morning for a doughnut but this year they just invited two special guests to their lunch period so we sat on the stage at a special table and got to have lunch with Brandon. Well, it was 10:30 so we watched him eat his lunch. They opened up the curtains at one point and everyone clapped, then he got a doughnut and a necklace and we took pictures. His teacher was so kind and came up and told us that he earned it by just being the sweetest kid. She said she just adores him and she complimented us for being such good parents. I almost cried. It was so sweet and generous of her and it really made me feel so good. A few people have said such kind things to me lately that have really stood out and been meaningful to me but that was the best. 


 

Afterwards Josh and I went over to a friend's friend's house to do some power washing. I had volunteered us without even talking to Josh and yet when I told him that was how we were spending some of his day off, he was all in. I'm so grateful for him and to be married to that kind of guy. He really is so selfless and ready to help others and also so wonderful at supporting and loving me. We spent about 2.5 hours and made a lot of progress, which felt good. Then we picked up Curtis and took Lily to dance. I took Emma to get new ballet shoes and pick up Lily and then we had a two hour window so we left Lily in charge and went out to dinner. We tried a local place we had never been to before and the hush puppies were so good and the steak sandwiches were okay, but it was great to have dinner alone and out. We got home to take Emma to dance and Curtis to baseball and then Lily and I watched some of Emma (the movie) together. I am trying to introduce her to Jane Austen and how much I love historical British romances and so far she is enjoying it.

Saturday Josh and Emma went to Bruce's baptism (Emma's friend) and had a great time while we went off to Brandon's game. They met us there just in time to see Brandon get a ball while playing second base and throw it to first to get a kid out. It was awesome! He even scored two runs and overall had a great game. It was another gorgeous fall day and I really enjoyed his game and being outside. Then we hurried home to get watching General Conference and it was all so wonderful. I love listening to the talks and just felt such peace and healing of my heart as they addressed things I have been bothered or concerned about. Sunday we slept in and had a great family breakfast and then it was more conference. So wonderful!  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh what fun!

Party Time!

Hello October