July Part 1
For July 4th I really wanted to go to DC but then it was going to be so hot and there was security and you couldn't bring anything with you and then there were storms predicted and then I found out the president was going to be speaking and also Michelle didn't want to go and my kids didn't want to go and the fireworks weren't going to be until 11pm. I think we were still pretty tired from our trip (and honestly the last two months) so we ended up doing nothing. It was the lamest fourth of July ever. We slept in, Josh made pancakes because we had missed the ward breakfast, and then we watched the concert that had been on the night before and then Josh watched all of the fly overs. I would have enjoyed going to DC if the kids had been more on board because the heat doesn't actually bother me too much and it would have been cool to see the airplanes and fireworks. I think the fact that everyone was evacuated though and then that it was so crowded really would have made my kids grumpy. Josh was also worried about getting home so late since he had a lot to do on Sunday and we were already pretty tired so probably good we stayed home.
Anyway, we made sub sandwiches for dinner and went down to Solomon's, had a lovely picnic with the Rays and then it stormed. We waited it out in the car and had just come back and set up when we found out the fireworks were cancelled. Seriously, lamest fourth ever. At least the Rays came back to our house and played a game with us while our neighbors were putting off a ton of fireworks right behind our house until 11:30 pm (so loud and annoying and there was debris all over our yard) and then we all just went to bed. Sunday evening though we got to go back to Solomon's with the Rays and watch the fireworks but they stopped after 15 minutes; it was so weird. We hung around and then there were more and then about another 10 minute gap before the finale finally went off. Lots of people had already left. I found out later that someone on the barge was injured so the fireworks were paused while they were getting him off. Just added to the strangeness of this year's holiday.
Then Monday I took Emma and Lily up to Severna Park to get pointe shoes. Emma found a pair she liked and we made it home by early afternoon. I had thought about doing something fun but the girls seemed ready to just get home and they had dance anyway so it was an efficient trip, not a fun one. The rest of the week I went to Inklings, taught Addie a piano lesson, went to the gym, had the Rays come swim with us at our pool, took Emma to the orthodontist, had breakfast with my high school friend, and went with Josh to see Young Washington, which we both loved.
Then Saturday we spent the whole day at King's Dominion. We had never been before but since Michelle has season passes and offered to buy us cheap tickets, we went for it. Lily stayed home to get stuff done and she ended up babysitting and hanging out with a friend but the rest of us had a great day. We got there just as it was opening and followed Missy's advice to go to the right and to the back of the park. Our very first ride was Twisted Timbers and we just walked right on. It was more intense than it looked and I thought for sure Emma was going to be crying but not only was she not crying, she stayed on the ride since no one was in line and went again with Frankie, Delaney, Curtis and Josh. I was so proud of her!
We did all the rides we wanted to and ate lots of food. My favorites were the river rafting ride and the log flume and then the Ferris wheel, which was closed when we went to go ride it because it had been raining a bit but Michelle and I sat there and talked and had hope and it opened back up so we could ride it before we left. I love all the lights at a park and seeing it at night from up high; it is a great way to end a fun day. I think our crews matched up pretty well. Curtis and Frankie went on some roller coasters together and Delaney and Josh joined them on most of them and the rest of us did some calmer rides and Josh and Matt did the drop tower and Brandon and Matt and Josh did the bumper cars and Addie, Brandon, Emma and Delaney did the Apple Zapple one and Josh and Curtis even did the huge one that had been closed all day but then opened for a small window in the evening; they even got to ride it twice. The lines all day were super short and I think the cloudy weather kept people away. It only impacted us when the log flume closed while we were in line and then that we had to wait for the Ferris wheel to open back up but we got on everything eventually. There was a fun concert going on as we walked out and then we saw the fireworks from the parking lot, which was actually a great viewing spot. We had a tired and long drive home with some crazy rain but it was a wonderfully fun summer day.
The next week the kids were off to camp. Lily and Emma left Monday with Michelle since they are both leaders. The camps were split this year so Emma was a YCL for the younger camp and Lily for the older girls. Curtis left Tuesday morning so then Tuesday and Wednesday it was the three of us (well, Josh worked) so we invited the Howells to come have dinner with us Tuesday night at the pool so Brandon could play with Ethan. It was fun to chat with them since we don't socialize with them very often and the kids all had a great time swimming. Wednesday I went to the gym and to get groceries and then Eli came over to hang out with Brandon all day. That night was a valiant primary activity at the Wiests' pool. We had planned it months ago and even though I've been released I have still been going every time while a new person gets called, so it has been nice to still be with the kids and Leisa. The kids all loved the activity and had so much fun. I chatted with Debby and Jess' mom the whole time and it was relaxing and fun.
Thursday Josh went to camp too so then it was just Brandon and I. We had invited Leisa and Joel to hang out with us so we went up to Prince Fredrick to go mini golfing but when we got there the place was closed for heat. Such a bummer! Luckily they have an indoor place a mile down the road so we went there instead and did glow in the dark golf and laser tag, which the boys loved. Then we went to Mrs. Moo's for ice cream so it ended up being fun anyway. We went home and they left since Joel had a swim meet and we went and picked up Ethan and went to the Blue Crabs game. There was no one there so Brandon and Ethan got to do a lot, which was so cool. They got to go on the field and be junior managers so they shook hands with the umpires and coaches and the managers--so cute. Then they got to play a water balloon game and because they did that they got coupons for free ice cream. We also sat right behind the dug out in the first row so they both got a couple of balls too. The Blue Crabs lost by four runs but it was a super fun night and I enjoyed hanging out the boys; they are cute and fun.
Friday Josh, Brandon and I went out for breakfast using a gift card he had and then all the kids started coming home. Brandon actually went to go play with Eli for the day so that gave the kids a chance to nap and unpack and tell us all about camp. Lily had a good experience but because she was in charge of so much, she said it was kind of exhausting and less fun. Many people told me how awesome she was though and what a good job she did leading, which was sweet. Curtis enjoyed camp probably the most. Emma had a hard time. She wasn't comfortable with the girls in her cabin and one night she got super anxious and was dry heaving and crying and couldn't sleep so Brother Neilsen and Brother Amorino gave her a blessing that really helped her. I thought being in charge would help her but I think she actually would have been better off being with the older girls. I don't love that they were separated, even though I know there were lots of benefits and it was somewhat necessary because of the camp sites. I don't know why but she didn't have enough fun to balance out being so hot and uncomfortable, or at least that is what she told me. She also slept hard for a few hours that day and again on Sunday so I think she somehow got very overtired. I'm so grateful for youth leaders who sacrificed so much to watch over my kids at camp and help them have a good, spiritual, and fun camp experience.
Saturday we went to the temple. I felt strongly that we needed to go (me especially) but the kids too so we all went and it was a beautiful experience. It was a lovely day and we just showed up without an appointment because there weren't any left but we got right in. Curtis baptized Emma and then Josh baptized Curtis and Lily while I handed out towels. Then we all got to do confirmations. It was just peaceful and beautiful and the right thing to do. Brandon waited for us in the visitor's center and was happy watching church videos.
Then we went to a pizza restaurant Josh had picked out that was a lot like the Italian pizza we had eaten and it was good. Emma got upset about something Josh said and then there was a whole discussion about what a bad mom I am and then I got annoyed because I just wanted to walk over by the Capitol (we were a 10-min walk away) but no one was excited about it and so we drove around D.C. a bit and saw the Capitol and Supreme Court and Library of Congress and then the mall and the Washington monument and then the Jefferson before we got on the highway to come home. It rained so I suppose it was better to be driving but I wanted it to be a nice experience and instead I got grumpy teenager attitude (such a change from Italy!). I feel like my kids don't appreciate that we live near DC and that they don't love their country like I wish they did. Maybe once they move away they will realize how cool it is and how blessed they are to have grown up here. Anyway, it kind of soured the evening a bit for me but we came home and I read for awhile and everyone chilled and we had leftovers for dinner and I watched some Jeopardy with Brandon and got over it.
I finally have everything from my big to-do list that I made in April done and checked off and it feels so good! We figured out getting Lily out to Utah and Curtis is set to take his driving test and our trip is done and the graduation party went well and is done and I hosted sisters weekend and Lily is all set to be endowed in a few weeks (well, she is meeting with President Boyd tonight but we already have an appointment!). We got her dress Saturday and she has been doing temple prep and everything is just moving along. We have one month before school starts and I am excited to enjoy it!































Comments
Post a Comment