Week 2
My friend are doing daily blogs and now I understand why; the days have sure blended together and I'm not sure what even happened last week.
Every day we have done jobs, a bit of school work, piano practicing and outside play time. Curtis keeps trying to beat Josh at soccer and then he usually plays some basketball with Brandon for a few minutes. Emma and I beat Josh and Brandon at a quick basketball game last week and that was fun. I've been bike riding and even a bit of running, which I can't stand to do but at least it is something. The problem is I get terrible shin splints and it really slows me down. Then I feel so heavy and clunky and my legs give out way before my heart so it just doesn't end up being a good cardio workout for me. But, I did a lap around my neighborhood and it at least got my heart pumping and gave me something new to do. My gym classes are now going to be online so I might try one out. Without the weights and people around it won't be the same but it will be something.
The girls' dance studio posted some video classes so they have been doing those. I think they had hoped to up date them week to week but now that everyone has to stay in, I don't think that will happen. But it at least gives them something to do and practice, which is especially good in Emma's case because her dance recital is supposed to be May 9th, which means she would only have two classes back before the recital. I really hope they can postpone it, even just a week or two would be good, but they have to wait to hear back from the school where they perform. It is all a bit of a mess but I hope it works out. I know Lily especially misses dancing and can't wait to get back to it. The boys were supposed to do soccer but I just got an email today saying the season wouldn't even start until the end of April and will probably only run 6 weeks instead of the original 9. That is okay by me because Curtis still gets a lot of physical activity but he does love being on a team and Brandon was pretty excited to be with his best friend and play soccer together, but they will have other opportunities.
Two times during the week we went to get the lunches that are provided by school. It is a lot of food and a lot of milk, which is helpful because BJs would only let me buy two gallons and I usually buy three for a week. It also makes lunch kind of fun because they get food I wouldn't buy, like the uncrustable sandwiches and pop tarts and juice boxes. We have been eating well, which helps keep everyone happy. Lily and Emma baked a chocolate cream cheesy cake thing last week for family night, we've had French toast and banana nut pancakes for breakfast, interspersed with cereal and apple cinnamon muffins that Lily and I made one afternoon, and Josh made pizza Saturday night that was good, but not quite up to his usual for me. He made a white pizza that the kids all adored but I thought was kind of boring and he put ricotta on the pepperoni which also did not work for me. His regular pepperoni was delicious though and the crust on all of them was perfect. He really has figured it out and makes some of the best pizza I've eaten. I did a quick run to BJs for milk and meat and hardly anyone was in there, which was great. I also went to Harris Teeter for vegetables and cheese and ice cream (necessities for sure) and that was a bit tougher. I try to stay away from people and I sanitized my hands lots of times while I was there and I just hope it all works.
Thursday was my mother-in-law's birthday so we called and sang to her. Then Friday night we did a google hangout with all of my in-laws (his brother and family, sister, parents). It was nice to see my little niece especially but kind of sad because I am never going to really know her. I'm going to be that distant aunt she sees maybe once a year when she has both sets of grandparents and two single aunts who are all right there and very attentive to her. Too much to compete with for my taste. I really like my sister-in-law and wish I knew her better. She married my brother-in-law three years ago and I have only seen her once since then so we are nice to each other and she is super sweet but we really don't know each other.
Saturday I got really antsy in the afternoon and since we had cleaned out Emma's closet and drawers earlier in the week, I had a bunch of dress up stuff and regular clothes and shoes to pass on to my friend, Leisa. I decided to drive over and drop it off on her porch but her husband was out doing yard work and eventually the kids came out and then she came to the door and we got to talk for about half an hour. I kept my distance but it was so good just to see their faces and talk. It made me really happy. I bought some new games from Target online and introduced them to the kids that night. We have now played lots of Mastermind (logic/math) and we tried out Guillotine (history) and next up is a bean planting card game (health? farming? business management?). Lots of fun and learning too, though I bought them for fun and something new to do. We've also played some Dutch Blitz and Yahtzee this week.
Sunday was lovely. We participated in our ward combined Priesthood/RS class, which actually Josh helped teach since it was the 5th Sunday, then I listened in on the youth one that Josh taught afterwards. Both were really nice. Then I did singing time with my Primary kids, which was good. We reviewed a bunch of the ones they have already learned this year and then we practiced Love One Another. I put the words on a white board and then we rolled a die and whatever number came up was the number of words we erased after each time that we sang it. We did that four or five times and I think they got it pretty well. Then we did our family sacrament meeting and since it was fast and testimony Sunday, we each shared a testimony. It was sweet and Lily and Emma really impressed me. Curtis has a hard time sharing his feelings and Brandon wasn't sure what to say but it was a good experience.
Then they played together all afternoon. It was pretty miraculous; Emma and Curtis usually fight regularly but they invented two games together and just kept going back and forth between the two and played together NICELY all of Saturday and Sunday. No small miracle in my book and we praised both of them for doing so. We pulled out a new puzzle, I talked with my parents and made a fabulous dinner of pioneer woman stew that Michelle made of us once and we all loved, with sour dough rolls that Lily helped me with and my canned pears from last summer. Then we made homemade yeast doughnuts, which were surprisingly good. I don't love doughnuts and rarely eat them (except apple cider doughnuts in the fall with apple cider-YUM) but I had one and they were pretty decent. My family all loves doughnuts so they were super into it and it was fun to watch and support without having to make it all happen. We fasted for the Lord to bless our world and ease the pain/repercussions of this virus and it was special to know we were fasting with people all over the world, united in purpose and spirit.
We've been really blessed this past week. I'm grateful for good food and plenty of it, that for the most part my kids have been getting along and working well together, everyone is getting enough exercise, Josh has been around an unprecedented amount of time and got his work project/program to work so he was really happy, we get to sleep in every morning (which I absolutely love), everyone we know is for now healthy and safe and I have felt peace and calm about it all. I know a lot of people haven't but for me, as soon as I got over our cancelled spring break trip, cancelled dance and freaking out about food, I have felt very calm. It is all going to work out and get back to normal at some point. Now I just have two birthdays and Easter to figure out, while keeping up a good play/work/school schedule. We'll just keep on keeping on.

Every day we have done jobs, a bit of school work, piano practicing and outside play time. Curtis keeps trying to beat Josh at soccer and then he usually plays some basketball with Brandon for a few minutes. Emma and I beat Josh and Brandon at a quick basketball game last week and that was fun. I've been bike riding and even a bit of running, which I can't stand to do but at least it is something. The problem is I get terrible shin splints and it really slows me down. Then I feel so heavy and clunky and my legs give out way before my heart so it just doesn't end up being a good cardio workout for me. But, I did a lap around my neighborhood and it at least got my heart pumping and gave me something new to do. My gym classes are now going to be online so I might try one out. Without the weights and people around it won't be the same but it will be something.
The girls' dance studio posted some video classes so they have been doing those. I think they had hoped to up date them week to week but now that everyone has to stay in, I don't think that will happen. But it at least gives them something to do and practice, which is especially good in Emma's case because her dance recital is supposed to be May 9th, which means she would only have two classes back before the recital. I really hope they can postpone it, even just a week or two would be good, but they have to wait to hear back from the school where they perform. It is all a bit of a mess but I hope it works out. I know Lily especially misses dancing and can't wait to get back to it. The boys were supposed to do soccer but I just got an email today saying the season wouldn't even start until the end of April and will probably only run 6 weeks instead of the original 9. That is okay by me because Curtis still gets a lot of physical activity but he does love being on a team and Brandon was pretty excited to be with his best friend and play soccer together, but they will have other opportunities.
Two times during the week we went to get the lunches that are provided by school. It is a lot of food and a lot of milk, which is helpful because BJs would only let me buy two gallons and I usually buy three for a week. It also makes lunch kind of fun because they get food I wouldn't buy, like the uncrustable sandwiches and pop tarts and juice boxes. We have been eating well, which helps keep everyone happy. Lily and Emma baked a chocolate cream cheesy cake thing last week for family night, we've had French toast and banana nut pancakes for breakfast, interspersed with cereal and apple cinnamon muffins that Lily and I made one afternoon, and Josh made pizza Saturday night that was good, but not quite up to his usual for me. He made a white pizza that the kids all adored but I thought was kind of boring and he put ricotta on the pepperoni which also did not work for me. His regular pepperoni was delicious though and the crust on all of them was perfect. He really has figured it out and makes some of the best pizza I've eaten. I did a quick run to BJs for milk and meat and hardly anyone was in there, which was great. I also went to Harris Teeter for vegetables and cheese and ice cream (necessities for sure) and that was a bit tougher. I try to stay away from people and I sanitized my hands lots of times while I was there and I just hope it all works.
Thursday was my mother-in-law's birthday so we called and sang to her. Then Friday night we did a google hangout with all of my in-laws (his brother and family, sister, parents). It was nice to see my little niece especially but kind of sad because I am never going to really know her. I'm going to be that distant aunt she sees maybe once a year when she has both sets of grandparents and two single aunts who are all right there and very attentive to her. Too much to compete with for my taste. I really like my sister-in-law and wish I knew her better. She married my brother-in-law three years ago and I have only seen her once since then so we are nice to each other and she is super sweet but we really don't know each other.
Saturday I got really antsy in the afternoon and since we had cleaned out Emma's closet and drawers earlier in the week, I had a bunch of dress up stuff and regular clothes and shoes to pass on to my friend, Leisa. I decided to drive over and drop it off on her porch but her husband was out doing yard work and eventually the kids came out and then she came to the door and we got to talk for about half an hour. I kept my distance but it was so good just to see their faces and talk. It made me really happy. I bought some new games from Target online and introduced them to the kids that night. We have now played lots of Mastermind (logic/math) and we tried out Guillotine (history) and next up is a bean planting card game (health? farming? business management?). Lots of fun and learning too, though I bought them for fun and something new to do. We've also played some Dutch Blitz and Yahtzee this week.
Sunday was lovely. We participated in our ward combined Priesthood/RS class, which actually Josh helped teach since it was the 5th Sunday, then I listened in on the youth one that Josh taught afterwards. Both were really nice. Then I did singing time with my Primary kids, which was good. We reviewed a bunch of the ones they have already learned this year and then we practiced Love One Another. I put the words on a white board and then we rolled a die and whatever number came up was the number of words we erased after each time that we sang it. We did that four or five times and I think they got it pretty well. Then we did our family sacrament meeting and since it was fast and testimony Sunday, we each shared a testimony. It was sweet and Lily and Emma really impressed me. Curtis has a hard time sharing his feelings and Brandon wasn't sure what to say but it was a good experience.
Then they played together all afternoon. It was pretty miraculous; Emma and Curtis usually fight regularly but they invented two games together and just kept going back and forth between the two and played together NICELY all of Saturday and Sunday. No small miracle in my book and we praised both of them for doing so. We pulled out a new puzzle, I talked with my parents and made a fabulous dinner of pioneer woman stew that Michelle made of us once and we all loved, with sour dough rolls that Lily helped me with and my canned pears from last summer. Then we made homemade yeast doughnuts, which were surprisingly good. I don't love doughnuts and rarely eat them (except apple cider doughnuts in the fall with apple cider-YUM) but I had one and they were pretty decent. My family all loves doughnuts so they were super into it and it was fun to watch and support without having to make it all happen. We fasted for the Lord to bless our world and ease the pain/repercussions of this virus and it was special to know we were fasting with people all over the world, united in purpose and spirit.
We've been really blessed this past week. I'm grateful for good food and plenty of it, that for the most part my kids have been getting along and working well together, everyone is getting enough exercise, Josh has been around an unprecedented amount of time and got his work project/program to work so he was really happy, we get to sleep in every morning (which I absolutely love), everyone we know is for now healthy and safe and I have felt peace and calm about it all. I know a lot of people haven't but for me, as soon as I got over our cancelled spring break trip, cancelled dance and freaking out about food, I have felt very calm. It is all going to work out and get back to normal at some point. Now I just have two birthdays and Easter to figure out, while keeping up a good play/work/school schedule. We'll just keep on keeping on.

![]() |
| I am terrible at taking pictures so these are the only ones I took all week! |




Comments
Post a Comment